Old 06-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 1750 Throttle Control

Hi guys,
I'm a first time owner with a 2003 Maxum 1750 SR, 3L mercruiser engine. There was a problem with it clicking into gear when I bought it, it's now not clicking into gear at all. The guy at the marina offered to take a look as I'm not great mechanically, he's told me the throttle control box needs changing. I've been in contact with my local Mercury parts dealer and he's going to order me the control box, he wants me to send a photo of the throttle just to confirm its the one he's thinking of. He also wants to know what length cables are in it and if they're Gen 1 or 2, I'm away with work until late next week so I'm just checking on the off chance does anybody have the answers to those questions?

I've taken a look through the manual in the documents section but I've had no luck

Thanks in advance

tdunne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Admiral

I doubt the throttle/shift control is the problem or if one even exists. The Alpha drive uses a dog clutch which requires you to make firm shift in and out of gear otherwise the clutch will slip making a chattering noise. This isn’t good as your wearing the dog teeth. Typically a cable adjustment or low cable replacement is required if there is a real problem. Since you said it is no longer happening I suspect you just weren’t shifting quick enough.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the reply Mike. When I test drove the boat there was a bit of manouvering needed to get it to click into gear, the boat was 100% besides that, the seller was putting it down to a cracked lug, I agreed to buy the boat if it was replaced. He replaced it, I bought the boat and didn't get a chance to put it on the water for 8 weeks due to lockdown in Ireland. When I did get on the water then I had no power whatsoever forward or reverse as it wasn't clicking into gear at all after the part had been changed. That's when the guy in the marina had a look with his mechanic and that's where I'm at, not the best of starts unfortunately
Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Admiral

Are you referring to the button on the center of the throttle/shifter? The one you press to disengage the shift mechanism when starting the boat?

If that is where the problem is the yes have it replaced.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Ensign

Yes that's the one, ok thanks I'll crack on so. Thanks I appreciate the help

Tags
1750, 3.0, mercruiser