Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Commander

Default Longest Trip

Well it's been quiet in here lately, soooooooo Thought I'd ask .... what's the longest trip (in Miles) that you have taken in your boat!

Me, I have gone 30'ish miles one way.

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

70+ miles in one day.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Admiral

From Peoria to Grafton and back on the Illinois River. Grafton is the town where the Illinois meets the Mississippi. Only two locks to go through. Total miles one way 170. Total 340 for a weekend trip. This was done in a 1988 Bayliner 2150 OB. It is a great trip!
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Bunny and I went from Winona MN to Stillwater MN last year, 125 miles one way. We usually split the trip, two days up and only one day to get back. Thats flying comming back covering 125 miles in one day and 5 locks. It only works if you get a good run with the GD Locks and don't have to wait for the barges that can take up to 3 effen hours!! Thank god for Bella's 37 MPH Cruise............

Wonderful trip tho.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Lieutenant

My wife, three kids and 93 year old father in law went from Monmouth Beach, NJ to Secaucus, NJ back to Hudson River, completely around Manhattan, back down Hudson River and returned to Monmouth Beach, NJ. Approximately 130 miles and 125 gallons of gas. Motors ran from 8 to 6 continously. Done in 1999 Maxum 3000 SCR.
jayesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Commander

368 miles over 6 days from Key Largo FL to Key West and back. Below is the text I posted on the Regal site a couple years ago.

Last spring Carol and I pulled our boat down to Florida and spent a week cruising the keys. We launched and stayed the first night at Pennekamp State Park Marina in Key Largo. We cruised down for a night at Bahia Honda State Park Marina and then on down to Key West and a couple nights at the Galleon Resort Marina (downtown Key West). The Galleon Resort is a great place to stay. Going back up we stayed another night at Bahia Honda then a night at Banana Bay Resort Marina and our last night back at Pennekamp State Park. To answer you question, we paid for a slip at Pennekamp for the week. It was cheap and it allowed us to park the truck and trailer in a secure area.

We made our trip the first week of March. Unfortunately for us it was the coolest and windiest week they had had for some time. Their normal highs are 79 and even though it was sunny it struggled to to hit 60. We had to keep the full camper top up the entire week to stay dry. Most days we encountered 3 to 4 foot seas. We cruised the Hawk Channel down to Key West and planned to cruise the ICW on the return trip. When we left Key West and turned north we encountered 6 - 8 foot seas about 20 miles out of port so we turned around and went back up the Hawk Channel where wel had 3 - 5 foot seas. Everyday was a rough ride in our little 2565 but we enjoyed ourselves in port every evening. We logged 368 miles that week and with the rough seas burned 263 gallons of fuel. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Day 1 Port Dover Ontario to Cleaveland Ohio about 135miles
Day 2 Cleaveland to Sandusky Ohio about 48 miles
Day 4 Sandusky to Put in Bay Ohio about 15 milesDay 6 Put in Bay to Ashtabula Ohio about 120 miles
Day 8 Ashtabula to Erie PA about 42 miles
Day 9 Erie to Port Dover Ontario about 45 miles
2001 3300 SCR twin 5.7 ran perfect
queenendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
Admiral

went from home in everett wa to friday harbor for fuel ..roughly 60 mi...then up to poets cove 12 mi. to check into canadian customs....from there we motored up to Nanaimo BC..roughly an hr north ...bout 30mi...then down to thetis island bc..maybe about 10mi....then over to montegue harbor...5mi...
over to sidney which took about an hr at 30mph.....from there over to roche harbor which was probably about 15mi...fueled up there and headed home after a few days back home to everett....another 70mi....all in 8 days......
242 mi +/- a few mi...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
Bunny and I went from Winona MN to Stillwater MN last year, 125 miles one way. We usually split the trip, two days up and only one day to get back. Thats flying comming back covering 125 miles in one day and 5 locks. It only works if you get a good run with the GD Locks and don't have to wait for the barges that can take up to 3 effen hours!! Thank god for Bella's 37 MPH Cruise............

Wonderful trip tho.

Bella Sera 3300SCR Out.
I have never been thru a Lock, not evin when I was in the Navy. Whats it like? Is there a charge $$$ ?

Todd
Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronthelake View Post
368 miles over 6 days from Key Largo FL to Key West and back. Below is the text I posted on the Regal site a couple years ago.

Last spring Carol and I pulled our boat down to Florida and spent a week cruising the keys. We launched and stayed the first night at Pennekamp State Park Marina in Key Largo. We cruised down for a night at Bahia Honda State Park Marina and then on down to Key West and a couple nights at the Galleon Resort Marina (downtown Key West). The Galleon Resort is a great place to stay. Going back up we stayed another night at Bahia Honda then a night at Banana Bay Resort Marina and our last night back at Pennekamp State Park. To answer you question, we paid for a slip at Pennekamp for the week. It was cheap and it allowed us to park the truck and trailer in a secure area.

We made our trip the first week of March. Unfortunately for us it was the coolest and windiest week they had had for some time. Their normal highs are 79 and even though it was sunny it struggled to to hit 60. We had to keep the full camper top up the entire week to stay dry. Most days we encountered 3 to 4 foot seas. We cruised the Hawk Channel down to Key West and planned to cruise the ICW on the return trip. When we left Key West and turned north we encountered 6 - 8 foot seas about 20 miles out of port so we turned around and went back up the Hawk Channel where wel had 3 - 5 foot seas. Everyday was a rough ride in our little 2565 but we enjoyed ourselves in port every evening. We logged 368 miles that week and with the rough seas burned 263 gallons of fuel. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
WOW Key West..... Ahhhhh the Memories!!!!! When I visited there many, many years ago (courtesy of the US Navy) it is one of those places I always wanted to go back to. Sounds like it would have been a Great trip if the weather cooperated!

Todd
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Commander

You All have had some wonderful trips and Thanks for sharing! It is my plan to get a bigger boat next year (27-30 ft) and do more cruising. Not sure what lays ahead for me, might have a new job in West Palm Beach, FL. But, a bigger boat is still the plan, I am sure I can find something (Maxum of course) down there! I will surely be closer to the Keys.
Todd
Old 09-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Admiral

Hey 9ball...............going through a lock is a piece of cake...............or pie..... whichever you like!

There is a traffic light at the entance of the lock that tells you it is OK to enter. Green for go and red for stop don't enter. Most boaters just call either cell phone or VHF channel 16 or 12 usually works. The lockmaster will tell you what is going on. Barges have priority and us recreational boaters are last on the pecking order.

When you do come into the lock, no wake and the lockhand will throw you a line that you hold on to. Do not tie this to a cleat especially if you are going from high water to low water. The walls are usually very slimmy so I have always worn gloves and put the fenders out to protect me and the boat. Now if the lock is not crowded some boats just putt around inside with out hanging onto a line. The lockmaster will tell you one way or the other.

Whether on if you go up or down when the lock opens up you are to procede no wake speed until you are far away enough not to cause any problems with anything.

9ball the fun is when you are in the lock right next to a gigantic tug, because that is all the room there is in the lock and the pump pressure is wanting to swing you into this tug and these lines that the admiral and you are hanging on for dear life and all this seems like an enternity and you swear your arms have grown three inches type of fun!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Commander

Roger , yes I can where that would be "Fun"...LOL I always wanted 3" longer errrrr ahhh arms.. LOL I am sure the lines they toss you are large and well used. I had a summer job when I was a kid on a Tug Boat, worked my tail off when we hooked up or droped off a Barge!

Todd