Old 09-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Leak from drive coupling I think

I guys,

I have a drip coming from behind my engine somewhere, I think I have ingress from the main drive shaft baring with all the fun and games that this suggests but I wanted a few others opinions before I start ripping things apart.

I hope that video below will allow someone with a deeper knowledge than mine know what they are looking at...

Video using Endoscope - https://youtu.be/HoK3a4UzR-c
(sorry for the camera work but it's not all that easy with a camera that small on the end of a stick :-) )

Coupled with the video my drive lube feed bottle looks like this, which to my eyes looks milky.. but I have not context.. Picture of that also attached.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-09-09 14.32.12.jpg  

Boatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
Admiral

I think you have two separate problems. The video looks like water dripping into the bilge but I cannot be sure of the source. Could be a leaking bellows, water supply hose or swivel shaft seal. Try feeling around the inner transom assembly with a paper towel to see if you can locate the source. The second problem is more of a concern as yes you have water in the gear lube reservoir which means the outdrive has a leaking seal letting water in. This will destroy your expensive drive and should be addressed immediately!

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
Ensign

Just to update for those coming along later.

Water in Gear Oil - This turned out to be a perforated oil feed tube within the gimble housing. Gear case pressure tested to spec after removal so I am comfortable that this was the issue.

Water drip - This was indeed a shot u-Joint bellows. There were two holes along the top face of the bellow right at the back so they were not visible with the drive on. Water was getting in through the gimble baring and dripping off the drive shaft into the bilge.

Just waiting for a small truck load of new parts to arrive to start the re-assembly!
Boatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:31 AM   #4
Admiral

Thanks for the update. Glad you isolated the issues.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000 scl, leak