Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Help with enclosure

This boat was sitting in a friends backyard for a few years. We have taken it and shown it some love. The cabin enclosure canvas was stuffed in the cuddy and I'm not sure if I have it right. I had to buy some new plastic mounting pieces at the marina. Could someone look at this and tell me if I got it together right? It seems like we had to really tweak it into place in some spots especially around the boat's side windows. Thank you.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-19_19-10-56_47.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2191Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-19_19-11-04_290.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	2192Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-19_19-11-26_307.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2193

JoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Ensign

JoDo,

You got it right. You have the framework setup the same as on my 1900 SR2. The only thing I see missing are the adjustable straps (One per side) that have a loop that slides up the back tubular frame and goes just above the plastic mounting piece for the front tubular frame. The other end of the strap clips to the eyelet on the hull at the inside, back end of the side window frame. These keep the canvas tied down when you're running with just the front section installed. If you can't find them you should be able to fabricate something that will work. Hope this makes sense. I'll try to post a photo of my setup later.

Seapuppy, wishing you calm seas and fair winds on your journey.

kajum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thank you Kajum, do I have the idea right? Also, is there a way to disconnect from the windshield snaps and just use the middle portion? Kind of like a bimini?Click image for larger version

Name:	strap2012-08-19_19-11-26_307.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2200
JoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

Yep, you got it right. When that back piece is off (which it will be most of the time), something needs to keep tension on the top and keep it from fliping forward. Nice job.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Ensign

JoDo,

I've often wished this could work as a Bimini but as Shrew states, the straps on the back keep tension on the canvas top to keep it from flipping forward and the snaps on the windshield hold the front of the canvas to keep the top from falling backwards as well as stabilize the entire framework. I guess you could try to fabricate some kind of strap that would tie the front of the top to somewhere on the boat but I doubt it would hold up in a strong wind or when you're running WOT. Though nothing says you can't try it. If you do, be sure to post the results.
kajum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDo View Post
Thank you Kajum, do I have the idea right? Also, is there a way to disconnect from the windshield snaps and just use the middle portion? Kind of like a bimini?Attachment 2200

You would need a different Bimini setup for that. I think you'd be looking for something more like this:

This would need a sleeve for the pole forward. right now you are using the windshield. The only way to convert would be to buy a new bimini frame and top.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote