Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Funny HIN question.

Hello, looking at buying a worn 91/92 maxum. The HIN didn't jive on boat fax but matches the title and the registration. It is MAXU2168F627. Has anyone seen one of these numbers end like this? Any help you can send my way would be appreciated. Thank you.

Davidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
Ensign

My phone wouldn't allow me to attach photos, so I did so from my computer. [ATTACH][/ATTACH] [ATTACH][/ATTACH] The boat is roughly 20' long, open bow, mercruiser 5.0 inboard with power tilt and trim. Interior is there but has apparently been left uncovered for probably 10 years. Interior is shot, block is cracked on both sides. If I can get it running long enough for one trip up the river and see if the other mechanicals are in good shape ill replace the engine with a 350 block I've been sitting on for a while and look into getting the upholstery redone. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
CGG
Lt. Commander

The last 2 numbers should reflect the year the boat was made. Mine starts with MX and that is the code for a Maxum made boat. Doesn't pass the smell test with me. You have an awful lot of work to do on a 22 year old boat.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
The last 2 numbers should reflect the year the boat was made. Mine starts with MX and that is the code for a Maxum made boat. Doesn't pass the smell test with me. You have an awful lot of work to do on a 22 year old boat.

That would make this boat a 1927, maxum wasn't around then. But I agree the last 2 digit are typically the year. My HIN starts with USP.

There should be another HIN hidden on the boat, engine compartment, Under bow seat, ...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Ensign

It does need a LOT of work. What bugs me is the hin matches the title and the registration. It's a friends boat and next time I'm in town I'll pull the cushions and covers up and see if I can find the hidden hin. If that one matches though I'm going to have to think its legit and just some weird fluke or typo. Is there any chance this thing is from canada or somewhere that uses a different practice for hin numbers? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
CGG
Lt. Commander

Title and registration mean nothing. States could care less as long as you give them money. The issue comes into play if you insure the boat and you have a claim, you will lose. If any injuries you could lose everything you own. Your choice. I suspect when you find the hidden HIN you will find the boat was stolen. Do you self a favor and go to Boattrader.com and search in you area for a similar boat. You should be able to find a boat ready to put in the water for around $4000 with a trailer. Good luck.
CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Ensign

I'll do what I can and see if I can find the hidden hin. If that matches I might just have to take it to the state patrol and have it inspected and see what they say and let them be the final word. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Title and registration mean nothing. States could care less as long as you give them money. The issue comes into play if you insure the boat and you have a claim, you will lose. If any injuries you could lose everything you own. Your choice. I suspect when you find the hidden HIN you will find the boat was stolen. Do you self a favor and go to Boattrader.com and search in you area for a similar boat. You should be able to find a boat ready to put in the water for around $4000 with a trailer. Good luck.
Depends on what State you are in MD can be a real big PIA regarding title and registration.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Hull ID Numbers:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC):

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/m...maxum&sort=mic

[TABLE="class: micCompany"]
[TR]
[TD]BVK[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVE NE[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON[/TD]
[TD]WA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXK[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVENUE NE[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON[/TD]
[TD]WA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXP[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVENUE NE[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON[/TD]
[TD]WA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXR[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]PO BOX 9029[/TD]
[TD]EVERETT[/TD]
[TD]WA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXY[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]1 NORTH FIELD CT[/TD]
[TD]LAKE FOREST[/TD]
[TD] IL[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]XNC[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVE NE[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON[/TD]
[TD]WA[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

MAXU2168F627 That is not a HIN. It looks like a Maxum Model Number. The Registration would (SHOULD) match the title. Those states that do title, would typically require the title to register the boat. In which case, the information from the title would be used to generate the registration. Every state works different in regards to requiring and performing title searches. The HIN will be ON the boat itself, so that is how to identify the actual HIN.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Hull ID Numbers:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC):

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/m...maxum&sort=mic

[TABLE="class: micCompany"]
[TR]
[TD]BVK
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVE NE
[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON
[/TD]
[TD]WA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXK
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVENUE NE
[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON
[/TD]
[TD]WA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXP
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVENUE NE
[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON
[/TD]
[TD]WA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXR
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]PO BOX 9029
[/TD]
[TD]EVERETT
[/TD]
[TD]WA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MXY
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]1 NORTH FIELD CT
[/TD]
[TD]LAKE FOREST
[/TD]
[TD]IL
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]XNC
[/TD]
[TD]MAXUM MARINE
[/TD]
[TD]17825 59TH AVE NE
[/TD]
[TD]ARLINGTON
[/TD]
[TD]WA
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

MAXU2168F627 That is not a HIN. It looks like a Maxum Model Number. My guess is this is a 21 foot boat (looks like Model 2168). Is the boat an Outboard? My guess was that the F might stand for Force. Just guessing though.

The Registration would (SHOULD) match the title. Those states that do title, would typically require the title to register the boat. In which case, the information from the title would be used to generate the registration. Every state works different in regards to requiring and performing title searches. The HIN will be ON the boat itself, so that is how to identify the actual HIN.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 AM   #11
Ensign

It's an inboard 5.0. The manufacturer code comes back as a "raider boats" the side of the boat says maxum and I couldn't locate the secondary/hidden hin. I'm going to walk away from the deal, thanks for all your help.