Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Fuel Mixing 1800 XR

It's me again with the Maxum 1800 XR.

When my boss gave me the boat he had said that mixing the fuel/oil by adding the oil to the tank and filling with the desired fuel level was ok for the mix. I just wanted to confirm with you guys on the best practice of the 50:1 mixing. This is the Force 120hp Outboard, FYI.

Thanks again gang. I'll have some great pics to post this weekend!

Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Miles ........boy that takes me back............That is the right way to do the mixing. Put the oil in first then fill the gas tank up next. That is half of your question.

The 50 to 1 I don't know for sure. Hopely someone will chime in with that info.

If you have portable tanks it is a good idea to take them out of the boat when you are refilling. If you have a spill....... the gas doesn't stay in your boat.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Commander

If it were me, I would scrap that 2 cycle oil and get the good stuff. Also, stick with the mixing in tank, if there is an auto mixer, get rid of it!
So had a 1989 650 JetSki that had the auto mix pump on it. Was great until pump gave out. You don't have a clue anything is wrong until motor starts to lock up due to lack of oil
So removed pump and replaced with block off plate, then started mixing gas/oil in gas tank and all has been great for over 15 years now that way.
Also have an old fishing boat from 1972 with a 50hp Johnson on it. Had to rebuild powerhead on it maybe 10 years or so ago.

So since I removed the automix from Jetski and rebuilt powerhead on Johnson, been running Amsoil 100:1 Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil and I love it. Now I do not mix it 100:1 as they state but rather 80:1 (just to be a bit safer). Have never had an issue with either of them running this way for over 10 years. I swear by that stuff. No (or very little) smoke when mixed at 80:1. Readily available here on the East Coast anyway. I used 8oz bottles and mixed 1 bottle per 5 gallons of gas (since I have 5gal portables, it was perfect). That gave me the 80:1 I desired (1 bottle per 6gal is 100:1).

Anyone nearby when you startup will thank you
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Commander

I second what Mr. Coffey said. Since the Force motors are relabeled Chryslers, they are old tech and have no oil injection...this is a good thing for you. Dump the oil in a tank and fill it with the correct number of gallons for a 50:1 mix and you are good to go.

Happy Boating!

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

The only problem with pre-mixing fuel in the tank is when the tank is partially full (or partially empty, depeding on whether you're an optimist or pessimist). Calculating exactly how much fuel you are going to need to fill can be a challenge. This can potentially lead to slightly rich or slight lean conditions. Oil injected is really the way to go on a 2 stroke, however I doubt that is a realistic option for you at this point.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
The only problem with pre-mixing fuel in the tank is when the tank is partially full (or partially empty, depeding on whether you're an optimist or pessimist). Calculating exactly how much fuel you are going to need to fill can be a challenge. This can potentially lead to slightly rich or slight lean conditions. Oil injected is really the way to go on a 2 stroke, however I doubt that is a realistic option for you at this point.
simply..... if your tank is half empty......buy 2 jerrycans of around 11 gallon (about 40 liters easy to handle) put the oil in it....fill them with the fuel....take them to the boat and fill the tank (i believe the 1800 of 1994 had a tank installed in the boat of around 30/35gallon ?)

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
johnmartin348

That is very good way to mix fuel.We will be waiting for your great pictures....
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
Anyone nearby when you startup will thank you
LOL... i love fogging the ramp out early in the mornig with my brother's old Champion... to me, few things smell better than two-stoke in the morning Some days i wish my Maxum was two-stroke

jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote