Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default Engine hatch insulation - like the Sea Ray?

When I was at the boat show in February, I noticed that there's some kind of insulation on the inside of the engine cover of the Sea Ray 175. I'd really like to keep the engine noise down and am trying to find some sort of insulation that can be applied without spending a small fortune from the dealer. Has anyone seen this and possibly know what it's made from or have suggestions on what could be used? I was thinking dynamat, like is used in car stereo installations, but that's meant to keep the panel from resonating, not necessarily to keep the sound in/out.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Admiral

I think your on the right track with what the cars use.

They do make a soundproofing product that you attach it form the underside of the engine compartment. I sure if you google this you can find all sorts. Check Overton's or West Marine.

West Marine has it called Noise Control Barrier Material. A 32"x 54" 1/2 thick piece is $112.99 and to go 1" thick is $154.99 included tape and hanger kit

Keep the cost down by DIY.......looks like an easy project.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Tom,

Dynamat is probably what I would use. You're right in that it's primary purpose is to reduce resonating but it is also pretty dense. If you use any other "floppy" material you'll need to figure out how to afix it so that it doesn't come loose and get caught up in spinning engine parts.

Did you happen to notice how it was attached on the SR?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I really wish I had taken a closer look at it. In fact, I may have to find a local Sea Ray dealer and try to take a look and see what it would cost if they ordered it. Dynamat, like MLV is very heavy and would be cost prohibitive for the amount of area I'm looking to cover and I've heard it's only good to 200 degrees unless you get the high-temp stuff that's good to 300.

I actually just found a pic ( I <3 google images) that shows it's definitely the egg carton soft foam type on the Sea Ray. I'm pretty sure I can find it with an adhesive backing but if not, high temp spray glue should work.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Ensign

Tom,
I wanted to respond to this and another recent post regarding additional speakers since they are related.
I had added the engine hatch sound insulation ever since I bought my boat in 2008 and it has been holding up well since. I used a fiber backed liner (can't remember where I bought it), 3M high heat spray adhesive and aluminum tape. It'll definitely reduce engine noise considerably when underway, allowing you to enjoy your tunes and to talk without shouting.
I also added 2 additional speakers to the stock JBL stereo above the kick panels and a wireless water resistant remote (but it doesn't float).
Your idea to add a fifth center channel speaker in the bow well area is a great one. I'm no audiophile so the 4 I have is OK for me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00051.jpg  
dockhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

I'm not going for great sound, just something to keep the bow passengers entertained. As far as the insulation, I have to figure out which route to go since the Sea Ray looks like egg-crate foam but if what you used works, maybe that's the better choice... I'm thinking that I'll try the egg-crate foam and see how that works and if I don't like it, move up to something better.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I tend to over-analyze. My worry with the egg crate foam stuff is that the adhesive will dry out at some point and the foam would come loose. I'd also worry that if there were to be an engine compartment fire that exposed foam will torch immediately, cutting the time you'd have to extinguish - or jump.

If you could find some kind of foil faced insulation like the stuff in dockhan first photo that'll probably be the best bet. Then again, if SR's engineers think that unfaced foam is ok then perhaps it is.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

I share some of your concerns. It definitely has to be a high heat adhesive and the flammability of the foam is definitely a concern. It's the same stuff used in some mattress pads tho, so I imagine it would have to comply with the same flammability standards as mattresses or bedding.

As far as the Sea Ray, if you check out http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2353516087.html it has a pic of the engine and you can see the insulation on the lid.