Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Can a 17th squeeze into this section with a question on towing weights?

Hi, I'm new here. I am looking to swap my boat for a Maxum 1700XR with 120hp engine. I am trying to work out if I need a braked trailer on the Maxum? How do I find out the weight of it all? My current boat is 15ft 6 but is on a good braked trailer and I wonder if I'd be wise swapping them over? I need to find out if my trailer can take a 17ft boat but I am pretty sure it can. My tow car is a BMW E90 diesel.

TracyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Ensign

Looking here is says 1250lbs for boat, trailer and a 50hp engine? The engine is 303lbs. Is this likely to be correct? Is NADA a good accurate website? http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1992/Maxum-Marine and is the beam only 5ft 10?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Ensign

Wow sure is quiet in here! Is everyone out enjoying their boats?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Admiral

Yes we are Tracy in the UK!........In America we use trucks or SUV's to pull our rigs....what is this a Bond Movie? :-) just kidding but seriously.........That is a dry weight that Nada uses so add all your other weight for gas and junk. Can you weight your boat and trailer? That is the most accurate. Find a truck scale then you might have to call the beamer dealer and get a tow rating on your vehicle. What is a E90?

Good luck and have fun!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Admiral

Tracy sorry but I don't know the details of the boat in question. When you say the engine weighs 303lbs is that the 50HP or the 120HP on the boat?

What size engine is on the current boat? The 2 boats are close in size and should be with-in a few Hundred pounds.

As Roges said a truck scale will allow you to weight the entire rig including any normal carryones you may have.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Tracy sorry but I don't know the details of the boat in question. When you say the engine weighs 303lbs is that the 50HP or the 120HP on the boat?

What size engine is on the current boat? The 2 boats are close in size and should be with-in a few Hundred pounds.

As Roges said a truck scale will allow you to weight the entire rig including any normal carryones you may have.
Hi the boat is several hours away from me so I am trying to find out if it will work for me prior to going there if at all possible as it will be a totally wasted trip towing my current boat there if the Maxum is too heavy to tow back. The boat I am interested in has the 120 Force outboard and the weight given on that website is 303lbs for the 120hp engine on it's own. The 1250lbs quoted is for the Maxum 1700XR, trailer and 50hp engine so I figured that adding the 1250 and the 303 plus some would more than cover it but it seems low compared to what several quote online. I am wondering how accurate that website is. I know the towing weights for my car and if these quoted weights are accurate my car can more than manage to tow it.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Yes we are Tracy in the UK!........In America we use trucks or SUV's to pull our rigs....what is this a Bond Movie? :-) just kidding but seriously.........That is a dry weight that Nada uses so add all your other weight for gas and junk. Can you weight your boat and trailer? That is the most accurate. Find a truck scale then you might have to call the beamer dealer and get a tow rating on your vehicle. What is a E90?

Good luck and have fun!

Roger
An E90 is a 2009 3 series
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyUK View Post
Hi the boat is several hours away from me so I am trying to find out if it will work for me prior to going there if at all possible as it will be a totally wasted trip towing my current boat there if the Maxum is too heavy to tow back. The boat I am interested in has the 120 Force outboard and the weight given on that website is 303lbs for the 120hp engine on it's own. The 1250lbs quoted is for the Maxum 1700XR, trailer and 50hp engine so I figured that adding the 1250 and the 303 plus some would more than cover it but it seems low compared to what several quote online. I am wondering how accurate that website is. I know the towing weights for my car and if these quoted weights are accurate my car can more than manage to tow it.

And the tow weight rating of your trailer is?

Mike
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
And the tow weight rating of your trailer is?
Which trailer? The Maxum comes on the one that came with it from new
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Lieutenant

The trailer that came with the Maxum will most likely now be just a "launching Trolley" athough it is a trailer in the UK they are illegal and only to be used for storing/launching in a marina not on the roads. Unless converted it will still have an American 2" coupling and Hydraulic Disc brakes - both illegal on UK roads.
You will need to have brakes on any trailer that weighs over 750KG which the 1700XR and Outboard will weigh more than.
Your BMW E90 will probably have a towing capacity of about 1800KG so you should have no issues towing it.
Let us know how you get on and post pics if you get said boat!!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Which trailer? The Maxum comes on the one that came with it from new
The one you plan to use

Mike
Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Admiral

whose on first? :-)
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Your "good braked trailer" should have a weight plate which will show you a maximum capacity it can carry. Then you will need to consider if the bunks/rollers are moveable to sit within the new chines of the Maxums hull. Then consider that if the boat is too long (overhangs the back too much) can the V post at the front of the trailer be moved forward - but then also consider that may put to much nose weight onto the cars tow hitch which will be a max of 85-100kg - so could the axle be moved or is that fixed.
If the boat is on a decent well fitting trailer already maybe think about getting someone like "Nicholson Trailers" to convert it to UK spec for you??

Hope that helps,
Lee
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
The 1250lbs quoted is for the Maxum 1700XR, trailer and 50hp engine...
I'd be very, very surprised if the boat and trailer together weigh in at only 1250 Lbs, nevermind the engine (although 303 for the 120 HP engine does sound plausible).

The E90 D has enough engine, and probably enough brakes, to pull and stop the whole thing but you're still going to need to abide by your local laws as Lee pointed out, not to mention BMW's tow rating.

I'd guess that boat, on a steel trailer, with 300 lbs of engine, will tip the scales closer to 2000 lbs.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
Ensign

Thanks for all your replies. There's some pics of the one we are looking at at the weekend, and also some pictures of the trailer rating plate on my existing trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	3347Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12 (1).JPG
Views:	12
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	3348Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12 (2).JPG
Views:	12
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	3349Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	3350Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	3350
Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Looks tidy from what I can see in the photos though my phone shows them quite small. Your Bradley trailer is plated for a max of 1400kg and a drawbar load of 100kg max. The trailer it is currently on is just a launching trolley and though you do see a few on the road they are technically illegal on UK roads. I got a brand new roller trailer made for me by De-Graaff for mine as the bunk trailer was not worth the risk towing it illegally. God forbid it were to come uncoupled etc and cause serious injury. Not worth the hassle in my mind. Cost me nearly £1800 but well worth it and makes launching alone a pleasure.
If it all looks good then get it with the trailer and consider the option of a uk conversion if it "fits" better on its current one. They are very well made galvanised trailers the US ones but also heavy probably an 1800kg axle capacity?
Good luck!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
Ensign

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeADAB View Post
Looks tidy from what I can see in the photos though my phone shows them quite small. Your Bradley trailer is plated for a max of 1400kg and a drawbar load of 100kg max. The trailer it is currently on is just a launching trolley and though you do see a few on the road they are technically illegal on UK roads. I got a brand new roller trailer made for me by De-Graaff for mine as the bunk trailer was not worth the risk towing it illegally. God forbid it were to come uncoupled etc and cause serious injury. Not worth the hassle in my mind. Cost me nearly £1800 but well worth it and makes launching alone a pleasure.
If it all looks good then get it with the trailer and consider the option of a uk conversion if it "fits" better on its current one. They are very well made galvanised trailers the US ones but also heavy probably an 1800kg axle capacity?
Good luck!

Hmm thanks for that, a great help. I wonder if I'd be better swapping the trailers over? My RYDS is 15ft 6 and if anything looks small on my trailer. My trailer is a roller trailer so I would think it would fit the Maxum quite well? They are adjustable. This really is making me think twice about getting the Maxum but I really do like the Maxum!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
Lieutenant

Many boats are imported on the US trailers technically as a way of transporting them I believe. It's difficult to carry them into a container! Many boatbuilders do this so not limited to Maxum. You have a win win situation I feel. Choose a quiet afternoon/evening at the slipway to fit the new boat to your current trailer. Worst case if it really doesn't fit then you can get the other trailer converted. If conversion is needed then that would mean new coupling and probably a new axle/hubs and brakes. Worth a quick call to Nicholson to enquire as to how much a conversion would cost first. Keep one step ahead and you could strike a deal with the seller!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeADAB View Post
Many boats are imported on the US trailers technically as a way of transporting them I believe. It's difficult to carry them into a container! Many boatbuilders do this so not limited to Maxum. You have a win win situation I feel. Choose a quiet afternoon/evening at the slipway to fit the new boat to your current trailer. Worst case if it really doesn't fit then you can get the other trailer converted. If conversion is needed then that would mean new coupling and probably a new axle/hubs and brakes. Worth a quick call to Nicholson to enquire as to how much a conversion would cost first. Keep one step ahead and you could strike a deal with the seller!
Brilliant, thank you so much for your help
Old 05-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
Lieutenant

No probs. Hope that helped a bit.
Keep us informed as to how you get on. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Lee