Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Boat Cover

I have a 1997 Maxum and I need a new cover. What manufacturer has a water resistant, 5 yr warranty cover around $250? I would like the Sunbrella, ($500+) but is a bit more than I want to spend. I have been to West Marine, iBoats, Westland, Overton and couple more discount places on-line and either the covers within price range are either over sized or don't come with tie down straps attached to cover. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

cuermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo...first off...I think the best option would be to find someone local and have it custom fitted.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the "welcome" and thank you for the advice. I will check around, close to home, and hope I can get something custom in my price range. If not, I will take a cheaper, non fitting, off the shelf one. I'm looking at the Sharkskin ($249).
cuermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Admiral

Good luck on the 250.
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Commander

I bought mine about a year and a half ago. I got it from iBoats and went with the Westland Custom cover in Sharkskin Plus. Back then it was $359 but I do like it. I think it is well worth the extra cost to go with Customer over the Universal Fit ones. Mone fits like a glove. About the only thing I do not like about it is, it does not breathe very well. So you have to make sure the boat is good and dry before covering or else you will open it up and have moisture everywhere (windshield, seats, etc..). I think the next one I go for will be Sunbrella as it does breathe better but does cost more.

Oh, and for reference, my boat is a 1996 2100SR. I am sure the price will go up or down based on size of your boat.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
I bought mine about a year and a half ago. I got it from iBoats and went with the Westland Custom cover in Sharkskin Plus. Back then it was $359 but I do like it. I think it is well worth the extra cost to go with Customer over the Universal Fit ones. Mone fits like a glove. About the only thing I do not like about it is, it does not breathe very well. So you have to make sure the boat is good and dry before covering or else you will open it up and have moisture everywhere (windshield, seats, etc..). I think the next one I go for will be Sunbrella as it does breathe better but does cost more.

Oh, and for reference, my boat is a 1996 2100SR. I am sure the price will go up or down based on size of your boat.
I just had one made for mine but as you said it doesn’t breathe very well at all, have you seen any type of vent that can be added to help with the breathing of the cover? Don’t mind the back of the cover; he had the smallest bungee cords he could find so it was pulling all the cover over to one side.

DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Commander

Yeah, I have seen some vents on iBoats before but could not bring myself to cutting a hole in my cover.
I just looked now and don't see the same ones I had seen before so not sure who has them, maybe Amazon or West Marine? The ones I had seen were scoop vents and you just cut a hole and snap the 2 pieces together. They were meant to be placed in the down slope between the windsheild and stern with the scoop pointing towards the stern. I can't remember who made them though.
Now my neighbor had purchased a semi-custom cover for his boat and it came with 2 of these vents sewn right into the cover. It was sharkskin as well but different than what I got (not the sharksking plus, think it was supreme or something like that).
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #8

Cheap covers aren't sving you any money. Buy it cheap and replace it more frequently. Pay more money and replace it less.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Cheap covers aren't sving you any money. Buy it cheap and replace it more frequently. Pay more money and replace it less.
I think this is true. One of the firsts things we did when we bought our boat 4 years ago was to buy a good quality cover. I wanted one that was specifically made for our boat and I wanted it to cover the boat from bow to swim platform. They offered covers in different materials, ranging in price from 350 up to 700. I ended up spending a bit more than 600.

It has held up wonderfully and I think it was an excellent investment. I did install one vent that doubles as the socket for the center support pole. The cover breathes fairly well, the vent helps, and when I take the cover off, regardless of heat or humidity levels, the interior is never wet. When I store the boat over the winter I use a couple of moisture absorption buckets.

The good cover has been worth every cent.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	BoatCover.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2073Yes, I agree too. Do not buy a cheap universal cover. They are a pain in the you know what! Unfortunately I was on a tight budget when I bought mine as I had just purchased the boat and then had to spend more money to outfit it correctly, new cover, anchor lines, ski rope, ski vests, new tires for trailer, new prop, etc... So I decided to compromise only on the fabric and still got the better fitting Custom cover. I am happy with the fit of it and it seems to be made very well (it is a Westland cover), just wish I would have spent the extra on Sunbrella. I do make sure I put it away dry and it helps a lot. When I cover for the winter (which is indoor storage), I too put 2 Damp-Rid buckets in it just in case. For the entire summer though, I just make sure it is mostly dry before covering, that is all.

Here is a pic of it when new and put on for the first time. I do have a bow prop and another between the 2 seats. I made a strap that goes from center window, snaps onto pole and then continues to ski rope cleat. This holds the pole in place while I cover it up and bungee it down.
Also, the cover has extra fabric and padding sewn in on all areas of contact. All around windshield, over front cleats, back cleats, ski rope cleat, etc....
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Ensign

Do not skimp on price, I had custom bow and cockpit covers made for the boat and the dealer gave me a custom cover in the deal. My boat stays in a covered slip at our Lake George weekend home, but by doing both covers, it keeps spiders as well as other pesky critters out of the boat. The boat is nearly five years old and still looks new. Per a friends suggestion, I purchased Damp Rid Bucket and everytime I cover it up, it does a great job of removing moisture...

MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote