Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 2007 1900 SR3 - OEM Wake Tower Help Needed

I recently purchased a new OEM wake board tower for my 2007 1900 SR3. I have all of the mounting hardware but no instructions. I was wondering if any of my fellow 1900 SR3 owners with the dealer-installed OEM tower could post some pictures of the mounting points with some measurements to a convenient point of reference. I am also very interested in a close-up picture of the backing plates if you could snap a picture - did the dealer use any additional support other than the backing plates supplied with the OEM tower?

Thanks much.....I appreciate your help and will reciprocate with detailed pictures of my dual battery setup with an automatic charging relay!.

WisYooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #2

Welcome aboard WisYoper!!! What does the manufacturer say?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Welcome aboard WisYoper!!! What does the manufacturer say?

I've emailed the manufacturer but haven't heard back. I did get a response from Brunswick (manufacturer of Maxum) but they were not able to help me. They did mention that depending on where my boat was built, I may or may not have to reinforce at the mounting points....not sure how to find that out.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Ensign

I am really disappointed. I contacted both the manufacturer of the tower (XTreme Towers) and Brunswick Corp. They both punted. XTreme Towers more or less just said "we only make the tower and the boat manufacturer decides how to install them". Brunswick stated that they no longer have any installation manuals or shop manuals for the tower. I was hoping for some detailed pictures from forum members, but I think I am on my own. At this point, I am wishing I had purchased an after-market tower at a lower cost than what I paid for the OEM tower. The fitment of the tower on the boat is less than perfect and I am a perfectionist (the mounting points are not as flush as they should be for an OEM tower - no matter how much I move the mounting points around, they do not sit flush). Really disappointed in both Brunswick and XTreme Towers for not digging up some info for me.....
Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #5

That is unfortunate, however I'm not surprised. Technically both are correct. As for 'mounting points't they mean 'BACKING PLATES'. If it were me, I would hardly be trying to figure out whether I need them. For the potential force you're placing on the tower, I would want more than washers and nylon lock nuts holding it in place.

The first thing I would do is get some backing plates made for the tower. Find a small local metal shop that might do the job for you. I've had a small place near me do all kinds of work, from drilling holes in a SS bow roller to relocate bolt holes to backplates for cleats.

Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about the flush fit, I would bet that works out just fine, once all the bolts are tightened down. As for location, I'd move it around until it was as close as possible, then have at it.

Your last option is to have a company that installs hardtops and canvas binimi's and the like do the installation for you. This wouldn't be that much different than buying optional parts for a automobile. The automibile manufacturer expects to install it or have it installed by a professional. They are not expecting or equipped to handle 'How To' calls from end users.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for the feedback shrew. Appreciate your help. I've purchased four 4" x 12" 1/8" 6061 aluminum plates that I will use for reinforcement. The OEM tower did come with backing plates but they are only about 3" x 4" and 1/8" thick. The are curved to fit my hull so I will duplicate that curve on my aluminum plates and adhere those to the hull with epoxy. Then also use the OEM backing plates on top of that. That should give me a good mounting surface.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Captain

have you ever tried working with fiberglass? It's easy to use and one additional layer provides an exceptional amount of strength. You would get an excellent bond to the existing structure and your work would not be visible. It is a lightweight, rust-proof way to reinforce mount points.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Admiral

That would be my suggestion, build up where the mounting plate is going to land on your boat with mat and epoxy to fit the mounting plate.

Good luck and send pics

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote