Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 2004 2100SD Dash Gauge Issues....

I am looking at this gorgeous 2004 2100SD. 5.0MPI. I Did a sea trial on it yesterday, it runs and drives great. I still love the boat. Everything works - Mostly.

It is a 9 year old, low hour boat so it has spent most of its life on a trailer, under a cover.....in Western Washington. There is plenty of moisture in that environment if that could be a factor. In the cursory look around, I didn't see any corrosion on wire terminals, or battery, but I haven't had a volt meter on it yet.

There is some issue in the dash....
Speedo, Tach, Volt meter, Trim Position Indicator and the Bilge pump all don't work. (Eng temp, Fuel, and Oil Pressure do work. So does the hour meter in the speedo.)

I would like to think they are all related to one single issue.... Is that possible?

I have looked for similar issues on this site and others, but nothing exactly the same.

Right now I told the seller if he gets it fixed, I am still a buyer....and I might be interested "as is" for a reduced price.

So....I am asking for any advice you folks could give this "nearly a boat owner."....

Thanks in advance.

Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

I suspect yo uhave a couple of issues. Speedo, Trim Position Indicator and Bilge pump are all common problems. I don't even bother with the speedo and Trim Indicator anymore. Bilge pumop is a cheap fix. Tach and Volt meter are much less common. All of them together is interesting. It sounds like a 12v wiring problem to me. However, it doesn't sound outrageous.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Lieutenant

ok. I kind of suspected that it may be more than one issue, really.
The owner, of course, acted like it was all a suprise, and it may be. He may not remember since it was over a year since he had it on the water.

Is trim position a tough fix? or is it likely the gauge?

I am waiting to hear back.... I am pretty sure we will work something out.

Thanks....
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Captain

all that power is run off of one 80 amp fusible link sitting on top of the positive power post on the starter.

Sounds like the $30 fuse is melted.

Stick your head under and look.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Admiral

If the fuse on the starter was bad none of the guages would work. Sounds like several issues. Speedo works by air pressure, I suspect the tube is not connected to the drive pickup. Trim is typically broken wire on the sensor located on the drive housing at the horizontal pivot point, one is the limit switch the other is the sending unit for the guage.

Others require some poking around with a volt meter.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

That is what threw me off a bit.

Not Working: Speedo, Tach, Volt meter, Trim Position Indicator, Bilge pump
Working: Temp, Fuel, and Oil Pressure

Speedo: works on water pressure from the pitot tube. That comes undone or tube gets clogged all the time. I believe the only thing the speedo uses for power is the lights on the guage

Trim Position Indicator: always fails back on the outdrive. There are two pucks, one on each side of the drive. One is the trim limit sensor, and the other is the trim indicator sensor. The trim indicator sensors go all the time. You'll need to pul the drive to get at this one. If you buy the boat, you're going to want to change the bellows anyway, so you'll do this job at the same time.

Bilge Pump: It's either the pump itself, or it's a bad ground. It doesn't hurt to check the switch and fuse, however this should have 2 positive leads to it. One positive lead is for the float switch, the other is for the helm switch so it can be actuated manually or automatically. Both circuits share a common ground. This is a little troubleshooting and/or a new bilge pump. This is not a reason to NOT buy a boat.

If the main fusable link were gone, I wouldn't have expected SOME of the guages to work and some to not work. Particularly since the three that are working are the actual engine guages themselves (Tmp., oil, and Fuel).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Lieutenant

The current owner is having this stuff fixed for me before I buy it :-) it should be done before the weekend is over.

Looks like I will be a boat owner before next weekend!!!

Thank you for the info.

I will be back!