Old 06-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2002 2100 SR Props?

Hello. My name is Derek from central NY. I am brand new to the boating world and just picked up a pretty clean 2100 SR with the Merc 5.0 It has the stock prop on it and its a little banged up and an equal chip on all 3 blades. Previous owner tells me its a 14.5 diameter and the pitch is 19. I plan on using it as long as possible, but will most likely be buying another soon. My usage is primarily for tubing, skiing, and bobbing around the lakes and rivers with friends. So top speed is not a big deal, more acceleration and handling. Should I be looking at a 4 blade prop? Pitch? Thanks in advance

Dee387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...or/#!/step-one

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee387 View Post
Hello. My name is Derek from central NY. I am brand new to the boating world and just picked up a pretty clean 2100 SR with the Merc 5.0 It has the stock prop on it and its a little banged up and an equal chip on all 3 blades. Previous owner tells me its a 14.5 diameter and the pitch is 19. I plan on using it as long as possible, but will most likely be buying another soon. My usage is primarily for tubing, skiing, and bobbing around the lakes and rivers with friends. So top speed is not a big deal, more acceleration and handling. Should I be looking at a 4 blade prop? Pitch? Thanks in advance
Check this out:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propeller-r...EAAOSwxxVZe~UY
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the replies....still not 100% sure what I want to do. Looks like you can spend as much as you want on props...damn!
Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

I have a 21p 3 blade and I plan to go to a 20p 4 blade to help with hole shot, my 2100 has a carbed 5.7

WOT is perfect so I don’t want to mess with that and my understanding (zero experience) is that if you go from 3 to 4 blades you want to drop pitch slightly which will slow down top end speed slightly but also drop time to plane which I like due to wanting to pull my kids on the tube.

I would be to high on RPM with a 19p and if your 5.0 is MPI (I would assume it is) there shouldn’t be much of a HP difference on paper from what I have. Anyone on here will also recommend not running a prop with any damage due to vibration/stress it puts on the lower unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
I have a 21p 3 blade and I plan to go to a 20p 4 blade to help with hole shot, my 2100 has a carbed 5.7

WOT is perfect so I don’t want to mess with that and my understanding (zero experience) is that if you go from 3 to 4 blades you want to drop pitch slightly which will slow down top end speed slightly but also drop time to plane which I like due to wanting to pull my kids on the tube.

I would be to high on RPM with a 19p and if your 5.0 is MPI (I would assume it is) there shouldn’t be much of a HP difference on paper from what I have. Anyone on here will also recommend not running a prop with any damage due to vibration/stress it puts on the lower unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not have the mpi 5.0...its the 220hp carbed motor. Was told the 19 pitch was the stock prop for this boat and to be honest, I haven't looked too far into it. I mainly want to experiment with a 4 blade while I get the one on it fixed. I could not find an 18 pitch 4 blade without spending $500 do I bought a 17 pitch 4 blade from Overtons. It's an aluminum-nothing special prop, but that's ok for me. Haven't put it on yet...hoping the 17 wont kill my rpms too much.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee387 View Post
I do not have the mpi 5.0...its the 220hp carbed motor. Was told the 19 pitch was the stock prop for this boat and to be honest, I haven't looked too far into it. I mainly want to experiment with a 4 blade while I get the one on it fixed. I could not find an 18 pitch 4 blade without spending $500 do I bought a 17 pitch 4 blade from Overtons. It's an aluminum-nothing special prop, but that's ok for me. Haven't put it on yet...hoping the 17 wont kill my rpms too much.
Do you keep the diameter? What is 14 1/2.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugi47 View Post
Do you keep the diameter? What is 14 1/2.
Yes, same diameter of 14.5
Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
Captain

I have the same prop on my 21 ft boat, I also have the 5.0 engine and 1.47 outdrive ratio. The four blades gives faster acceleration/time to plane, sharper turns, and better control at no-wake speeds. I'm sure I lost some top end speed, but still get 40 mph at 4000 rpm. I have no desire to go faster than 40 in a boat so nothing lost for me. I was thinking about smart tabs also, but this prop gets the boat on plane quickly.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
I have the same prop on my 21 ft boat, I also have the 5.0 engine and 1.47 outdrive ratio. The four blades gives faster acceleration/time to plane, sharper turns, and better control at no-wake speeds. I'm sure I lost some top end speed, but still get 40 mph at 4000 rpm. I have no desire to go faster than 40 in a boat so nothing lost for me. I was thinking about smart tabs also, but this prop gets the boat on plane quickly.
What type of prop you have?
4 blade 14 1/2 17P?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Captain

I have the Hustler 14x17. This prop is small for my setup, but I really like it for water sports. There's also less strain on the engine for the dozens of quick launches. The max speed that I'll pull a tube, for safety reasons, is 28mph and that's about the speed I get at cruise rpm.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote