Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2000 1900sr handling

Hey guys new to the forum, 1st post. I've had a few boats over the years, but this is my first v with and inboard. Have a few questions when it comes to the way she should handle.
I recently picked up a 2000 1900sr with the naturally aspirated 5.0 and an alpha gen 2 on the back. I boat fresh water on the west coast rivers and lakes pretty flat and calm.
I'm not sure of the prop pitch but here is my concern.....
First ride of the day, 3 adults about 200 lbs ea. I trimmed all the way down (visually verified trim works correctly) to take off, hammered down, got on plane fairly quick and everything seemed great. I noticed it still wouldn't bury the front end down and when I hit my first set of wakes it preloaded like a dirt bike and jumped out of the water for about 4-5 seconds and slammed back down pretty good almost like it wasn't completely on plane yet? Do these boats just like to be driven harder and faster? I noticed on flat water I can throttle up to 4k rpm or so and it levels out a lot better and goes real nice, but when I see wakes I slow down scared she'll jump again and possibly spin my gears.
So, tell me how it is. No feelings will be hurt! Do I need to grow a bigger set of balls and just keep in the throttle and ride it out? I come from flat bottom jet boats, and modified v bottoms with outboards with different handling. Would like any advice I can get. Thanks

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

How fast and at what RPM are you cruising? What is WOT RPM? That boat trimmed all the way down should have the nose down pretty good and handle a wave fairly good....however if you jumped a four foot swell at 30mph...[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Ensign

my speedo is next on the to do list, not sure im guessing around 25-30 mph at 2800rpm. this is where I kept it with a full tank, and 3 kids and water traffic.
Later on afternoon I dropped everyone off and just my son and I and about 1/2 tank of fuel I started cruising at 3300rpm and it felt way better maybe 35mph? water was nice and flat so I got in it. I didn't really stare at gauges but she really got up and went. I think I saw mid 4k rpms at 3/4 throttle and wot I think closer to 4800-5k rpm? and we were scooting! think close to 50? not sure if I'd hit an oncoming boats wake at that speed though or do you think would I be fine. it never felt like it "walked" or anything at that speed. also I was trimmed all the way down and scared to even tap it up.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
Captain

A 5.0 on that size boat is a lot of power. Consider adding a four-bladed prop or smart tabs in the future.
What you describe with the waves is normal. You have to negotiate waves with these smaller boats. Taking waves at a 45 degree angle is roughest ride possible. Generally though, getting slammed by waves is a fact of life for 19 foot boats and is major reason why boater upsize.
I had best ride with my 18 footer by trimming motor about 85% down, vice fully down.
50 mph is very possible with your boat. My 21 ft boat has a 5.0, and I haven't checked top speed yet because 45 mph feels fast enough. I started with an 18 ft boat and went to larger boat as kids got bigger.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
A 5.0 on that size boat is a lot of power. Consider adding a four-bladed prop or smart tabs in the future.
What you describe with the waves is normal. You have to negotiate waves with these smaller boats. Taking waves at a 45 degree angle is roughest ride possible. Generally though, getting slammed by waves is a fact of life for 19 foot boats and is major reason why boater upsize.
I had best ride with my 18 footer by trimming motor about 85% down, vice fully down.
50 mph is very possible with your boat. My 21 ft boat has a 5.0, and I haven't checked top speed yet because 45 mph feels fast enough. I started with an 18 ft boat and went to larger boat as kids got bigger.

I second this opinion, we have a 21’ with 5.7 and I find the best ride to be 3-3300rpm with the trim @ 85% and if I’m crossing a wake I will either slow right down if the wake is sharp or keep the speed up but trim all the way down if they are rolling and the bow will cut right through. Definitely not a big water hull especially on plane as it flattens out pretty good about 1/3 of the way back and the maxum is one of the wider runabouts with a beam approaching a foot wider than a Bayliner so it definitely gets some pop off steeper waves.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
Ensign

Very cool thank you for the great input. Already looking for a bigger float.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

No, you do not need to man-up here. The drive should not be coming out of the water. You are definitely driving too hard for the conditions. You would normally chop the throttle in anticipation of the wake. That is the case, even with a 2800. Larger boats don't come completely out of the water, but they still bang hard on the backside of a large wave or wake.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #8
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
No, you do not need to man-up here. The drive should not be coming out of the water. You are definitely driving too hard for the conditions. You would normally chop the throttle in anticipation of the wake. That is the case, even with a 2800. Larger boats don't come completely out of the water, but they still bang hard on the backside of a large wave or wake.

I should add that I agree with shrew and when I am crossing wakes or waves..just to clarify...in my boat (21’)anything over about a foot and I’m pulling the throttle back either way.