Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1996 1900 sr alignment problem

I have recently purchased the above mentioned boat....4.3 alpha 1 gen 2 and after being a little too rough with the drive coupler I had to replace it. When I reinstalled the motor I could not get the alignment bar to get past the splines on the coupler. It seemed the the motor was a little off at the stern. The bar would go all the way in before my assault on the coupler. I thought the the back motor mounts aligned the motor side to side and were fixed and the front mounts allowed fine tuning to align the motor to the out drive. After pulling the motor twice to make sure I was following directions I gave up and took it to the shop. What are the reasons for not lining up? Thanks in advance!

Mfire726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Mfire welcome aboard.

Yes the rear mounts are fixed but did you install them correctly with the washers in the proper sequence? The front mounts are used to adjust the engine angle so the splines in the coupler and inline with the gimbal bearing race. Do you try adjusting them? Also are the stringers in good condition, any rot? If they have rot the mounts will sink into them throwing the alignment off.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Ensign

I made sure that I installed the hardware correctly. Google is a wonderful thing. I even removed the motor and started again from scratch. It just appeared that the motor would not align, like it sat a little too high and everything appears to be in good shape as far as the stringers and motor mounts.....no rot. I had wondered if anyone had the same problem.
Mfire726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Admiral

I have not heard of anyone not being able to use the alignment tool and adjust the mounts. Did you see if the tool would engage the coupler prior to installing the engine? Just a thought that either the coupler or tool are bad diameter.

Sounds like you need to see what the shop says. Lets us know how it goes.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote