Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1994 Maxum 1800 XR / New Boater

I was very glad to stumble on this forum!

My boss was kind enough to bestow a great project on me, and give me this cool little Maxum. It definitely needs some TLC. The Force OB was overhauled by a pro about 18 months ago, but the boat has been sitting since shortly after.

Carpet is shot, upholstery is in good shape, and she just has a lot of dirt on her, looks like it needs a good wax. I hope to post some more information and intelligent questions as I progress in getting her in the water soon. Hope to hear your comments / suggestions.

Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the site Miles. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Good luck with the new boat.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo Miles....

post some photo's....we like photo's.....

good luck with then new toy......hope the boss doesn't call this a raise!!!......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Ensign

Thank you both, I'll post some pictures this weekend.

The agenda is to drain the gas and the oil this weekend, fill with new, and fire her up. Also going to clean the hull (planning on using Starbrite product), and then some wax (the Meguiars Marine kit).

I was trying to find a manual of some sort, didn't have any luck at the Maxum Customer Care site (only back to 2000). Do you guys suggest any other resources for a manual on the boat and the Force motor?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Admiral

get the hin number from the stern and call Brunswick co...they have the owners man. they will send for free...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Admiral

Hey Miles ............greeting from Peoria, IL..........It always plays in Peoria right.............either Illinois or AZ

The Force OB are Old Chrysler OB if that helps. Very bare bones OB. Just keep a good eye on the outdrive fluid.

I use google alot to find boat stuff and parts. Carpet will be an easy find if your going to do itself. Get' er all fixed up and your have a nice runabout!

Good Luck and yes pic's to keep us entertained....

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Thank you both, I'll post some pictures this weekend.

The agenda is to drain the gas and the oil this weekend, fill with new, and fire her up. Also going to clean the hull (planning on using Starbrite product), and then some wax (the Meguiars Marine kit).

I was trying to find a manual of some sort, didn't have any luck at the Maxum Customer Care site (only back to 2000). Do you guys suggest any other resources for a manual on the boat and the Force motor?
The meguiars marine stuff is great, a machine will cut a load of time off getting a good finish and remove all the oxidation which i bet there is a load of! Check youtube out for machine polishing sprtsboats if you need a few pointers. Im heavy into my car and boat detailing, but wont go into all the details here as a video can speak a thousand words
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Ensign

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great tips and feedback so far! Plan is to get to the lake on Sunday and take some pics to post.

I've seen lots of prop questions in the forums here. I'm looking to replace the badly dinged up one I have now. It's a 13x19, and the engine is a Force120HP OB (says by Mercury Marine). I have seen a lot of props in this size and pitch online. But I'm curious what to look for besides the size and pitch. I'm curious what difference I'm seeing in these that don't include the hub and reference other boat models. Very few refer to Force and if they do then Force/Chrysler. Will any "Mercury" designated prop in this size work for me?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Commander

Miles,
My dad has the same outboard on a 1700. The 19 pitch is correct for that motor. My dad tried a 17 pitch and it was good to pull skiers, but would over rev the engine. As for compatibility of a mercury vice force prop, I'm not sure.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote