Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Boats
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2022, 03:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1800SR - Bilge pump auto-activated after floating for 2hr

2008 1800SR3, 4.3L 2bbl, Alpha1Gen2

Took a search but couldn't find this specific scenario...

We sat floating out in the water last weekend, had 3-4 ppl sitting on the sunpad & swim platform most of the time so the ass end of the boat was pretty low down for the entire duration. And there was consistant lake-type wave action washing over the platform. Within the span of about 2hrs, enough water got in to the bilge that the pump auto-activated.

Is this a normal thing with these boats?

Since this is really the first time we've done this with this boat since our purchase last August, I'm mildly paranoid that there's a leak somewhere. I'll be digging in to it more this weekend but I thought I'd come to the hive first.

Thanks in advance (from a new owner) for any insight.
John

lakelifebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
Admiral

Was the water washing over the opening of the transom? If not I would suspect either a bellows leak or steering swivel shaft seal at the top of the transom assembly.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Was the water washing over the opening of the transom? If not I would suspect either a bellows leak or steering swivel shaft seal at the top of the transom assembly.
In to the rear locker/trunk and then draining down? The swim platform was def submberged but I don't think the stern was low enough to cover the trunk ...TBH in hindsight I wasn't paying that level of attention.

A bellows leak is entirely possible, no visible tears that I can see but it's heard to tell completely. I'm going to splash it today and leave it sit in the water for a couple hours beside the dock (and check on it regularly of course...), see where that leads.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I'm not sure if this applies to you, but I have the single point drain system in mine and was having an issue with water in the bilge. Come to find out my water distribution housing was cracked and leaking, I only found it when the engine was running and I saw water dripping into the bilge. Replaced that part and no more issues.

Mike is a smart guy, he'll point you in the right direction, just throwing my experience out there just in case.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:26 PM   #5
Ensign

Hey all, sorry I haven't been keeping up on this one...work keeps getting in the way.

So, a couple updates... had it in the water overnight, in a very calm lagoon (ie zero wave action) and there was no water in the bilge the next morning; so I think I can rule out a bellows leak.

A couple days later, we were floating with some friends, sitting on the rear area and def took on a bit of water in the waves. Wasn't washing over the trunk, only the swim deck and was def up to where the pump exits at times.

Given all of this, I think that given the ass-dragging nature of this hull, that when we're floating and sitting on the swim deck, wave action is probably backwashing in to the bilge pump's output hole. Or we have a leak where the deck is connected to the transom. Either in my mind is plausable.

Thanks again for the previous insights.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:01 AM   #6
Admiral

Does you ice chest drain into the bilge?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
Does you ice chest drain into the bilge?
The transom storage? It drains overboard (although I've never actually tested it...)