Old 09-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Question 1800 SR Bowrider

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the boating world. I am looking at and interested in buying a 18' 2002 1800SR. The seller states it needs a new starter. Can you give me some pointers at what to look at / for if / when I go look at the boat in person? It looks clean in the photos provided. I found boathistoryreport.com as a start. I know just because it may not have any damage listed, doesn't mean it hasn't had an altercation. It just means it wasn't submitted.

Thanks for all your input!!

Regards,

Larry

BoaterinDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
Captain

First thing I recommend is tell the seller that you need to see it start. Personally, I would insist on the seller installing a new starter.
You want to ensure all of the gauges work. The trim button should work. Walk around the deck and look for soft spots. Shake seats to ensure they are solid.
Start the boat and let it run for a few minutes at 1200 rpm. Make sure it holds temp.
Check all of the bellows for cracks.
Do a water trial. Check the oil level before you start. Run it at 4000 rpm for a few minutes to ensure the head gasket is good. Check for leaks in the engine compartment. After you are done with water trial, check that oil level did not rise.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoaterinDE View Post
The seller states it needs a new starter.
How convenient. Now you can't verify if the engine runs.

You don't just want to hear it start. You want to take it out on the water and see it run. This is referred too as a Sea Trial. Make sure it can reach a max rpm for the engine. When done, make sure it's not puking water or oil. I'd drain some oil (not just check the dipstick) and make sure there is no water in the oil.

The old "It needs a starter" is an old ploy to sell a boat with a junk motor. I'm not saying that is what you're dealing with, but I'd make the seller prove otherwise. The harder he pushes back, the more suspicious I would be.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Admiral

I'd pass on it. Anyone that is trying to sell a boat that is not in perfect operating condition has not done the maintenance as needed. Not a well maintained boat = Break Out Another Thousand......
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Admiral

Just needs...starter, carb rebuilt,... are common warning signs of a bigger problem.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote