Old 03-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Water Tank Replacement - 2004 Maxum 2400SE

The water tank in my Maxum was in bad shape and had some "stuff" on the inside so I decided to replace it. Since I could not find the same size 13 gallon tank I just ordered a "close-enough" tank from Amazon for $57. The only requirement was to have the fittings in the same general area so I could use the existing hoses. The tank I ordered had a 1-1/4" inlet so I had to reduce the hose size but the vent and outlet were the same. I also added a 15mm water filter to make sure the water would be clean. I used two additional Whale connectors and cut the hose.

I had to toss the old wood mounting system and made a new cage around the new tank. I used 1" square tube and welded pieces together so both support the sides and movement. The cage only weighs a couple pounds and can be removed with the tank in place. the edge of the tank only hangs over about 1" now so bottom support is unchanged.

Daleo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Commander

Nice!

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
Admiral

Just wondering if you have determined how much weight you have added to the boat with all the things you have added? This mod is not to bad but all the steel in the overhead rack plus what will be stowed there makes me ask.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Just wondering if you have determined how much weight you have added to the boat with all the things you have added? This mod is not to bad but all the steel in the overhead rack plus what will be stowed there makes me ask.
Good question. Based on FedEx and UPS delivery weights (with vendor packaging offsetting my additional installation hardware) I know the arch-40, radar-20, visor-25, steel vest rack-10 and other electrical stuff-10 have added a total of 105 lbs. up top. Remove 10 lbs. for the old bimini and I net 95 lbs. I added two G29 batteries-122 below plus another 200 lbs of tools, spare parts and equipment near or below the water line. I do not know of a simple ratio I could use but I am confident that the weight I added should not affect stability or performance. Honestly, I am more worried about driving on the freeway with the visor canvas up

Oh, this tank is one gallon less and with a 2 lb steel cage mounting delta I am a 6 lbs lighter.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
Admiral

200 lbs of tools! Do plan to rebuild the engine while underway?

Not sure how many folks you normally cruise with but I think you reduced it by one with the added weight.

Mike
Old 03-16-2016, 03:32 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
200 lbs of tools! Do plan to rebuild the engine while underway?

Not sure how many folks you normally cruise with but I think you reduced it by one with the added weight.
The wife and I cruise by ourselves to Catalina Island which is 25 miles off-shore and in Nevada on Lake Mohave which is about 40 miles long. I like to always go on overkill on stuff as you can tell by my posts. I take an extra alternator, jump battery, full set of Craftsman tools, manual bilge pump, belts and hoses, filters, Halotron extinguishers, stainless hardware and light dive gear in case I need to go in the water.

I have BoatUS but I prefer to be as prepared as possible. You can see my trunk when I take the 56' on a road trip...

Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo56 View Post
The wife and I cruise by ourselves to Catalina Island which is 25 miles off-shore and in Nevada on Lake Mohave which is about 40 miles long. I like to always go on overkill on stuff as you can tell by my posts. I take an extra alternator, jump battery, full set of Craftsman tools, manual bilge pump, belts and hoses, filters, Halotron extinguishers, stainless hardware and light dive gear in case I need to go in the water.

I have BoatUS but I prefer to be as prepared as possible. You can see my trunk when I take the 56' on a road trip...

Don't get me wrong I carry tools as well, 204 pc Craftsman set but far from 200 lbs in tools. Hey as long as you are happy captain.

Mike