Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Updated dash for 3000SCR

I decided to update the dash in my “99 3000SCR. The original gauge panels had some scratches and chips in the wood grain, and I didn’t like the black gauges. I also wanted to move my chart plotter to the area behind the steering wheel, so I decided to change the gauge configuration. I found a great set of Faria Newport series gauges at Great Lakes Skipper, which included multi-function gauges for oil/temp/volts/fuel, and I added an engine sync gauge. I started with a photograph of my old gauge panels, which imported into Solidworks (CAD software). I scaled the picture to the measurements of the original panels, and traced the outline of the picture to get the basic shape of the panels. Then I measured the new gauges, and drew them into the upper gauge panel for the new layout. I measured the rocker switches, and laid out the new switch configuration on the lower panel. After printing out the shapes a few times, and checking them against the old panels, I finally got the shapes right, and sent the files out to be laser cut from aluminum. When the laser cut panels arrived, I cut a radius on the edges, and applied 3M DiNoc vinyl overlay with a Bubinga wood grain pattern, and cut out the gauge and switch openings. I found new switch actuators that were pre-marked with the various functions on e-bay, and installed them on the existing switch bodies (and added a few new ones). Then, the hard part, re-doing all of the gauge and switch wiring. I also added a new Standard Horizon HX2150 VHF radio, and made a mount for my Garmin chart plotter to fit behind the new steering wheel. I made a new VHF mount panel, and large dash panel (used to have the radar screen mounted in it). I added spotlight controls and a power outlet to the new large dash panel. I bought a Garmin GMR18 HD and a 600 watt sounder to integrate in to my chart plotter, to free up some of the dash clutter. I’m happy with the way it came out, but the project was not for the faint of heart! I happen to have a second set of laser cut gauge panels for sale, if there are any brave souls out there (I ordered 2 sets in case I made a mistake). Sorry about the images - pretty limited in the size they allow here.
Attached Thumbnails
finished panels.jpg   laser cut panels.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf panels.pdf (30.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf After.pdf (246.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf Before.pdf (262.6 KB, 77 views)

llarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Lt. JG

WOW!!! Looks incredible! I did something very similar to yours on my 2400SCR(for pretty much the same reason)... HATED the rear mounted black gauges!!! I figured if I have to stand there and look at it all day while the wife/kids/guests are enjoying the food/drinks/views around them... It HAS to be something I feel good about looking at. Very smart to have the panels lazer cut, the fit/Finnish is probably way better.... I did mine by hand. I purchased a Faria Kronos gauge set from Great Lakes Skipper and (most) of them were plug & play... That 3-wire triangular plug slid right over the threaded lugs in the back of the gauges(figured that out after cutting one off... Lol). Excellent work you did there... Very rewarding project!!! Enjoy and have a safe season.

Diggin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Lt. JG

very nice job, I have a 1998 3000 scr and looking for a winter project..lol...how much are you asking for the extra set

thanks...just send me a private note
wcphillippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
pgp
Lt. JG

WOW! What a great job. BUT now I hate you! I was just looking at how crappy my dash looks.... Now I am going to have to do the same.. Any chance of getting the templates and gauge series? How well does the sync work?
pgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Very nice work sir!!!