Old 08-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Swim Platform and System Implications

We added a great swim platform from SwimPlatforms.com - best upgrade ever given the standard small transom area for this model. More than one "extra steps" into the drink had occurred. They had a template already for our model and it fit great.

There were two systems impacted by this installation that we had not anticipated or had heard about online. The A/C and fuel systems were negatively impacted because the extra 125# (approximately) changed the attitude of the boat ever-so-slightly. It wasn't visually apparent, but it was enough to affect the priming of the seawater pump serving the A/C and the ventilation of the fuel fill.

The solution for the seawater pump was to remove the mounting board for the pump and lower it to another stringer. This may require changing the supply hose from the sea strainer, but I wanted to anyway so i could use a clear hose that would allow visual inspection of the flow. I had to upgrade the pump to a higher capacity for the new heat pump unit I installed, so it handled the additional 6" of vertical pumping. These pumps are not typically self-priming, so making sure it is well below the waterline is critical. Also, pump ratings are not just about GPH, but how high vertically they can push water.

The fuel tank connections for the fill hose and vent are unfortunately located at the very back of the tank. With the tank now sitting a little lower, the venting becomes more critical. Maxums, like their Bayliner sisters, are subject to the "Bayliner Burp" (it's real - Google it!). I replaced the vent hose (it was time after 20 years anyway), but made sure to mount it higher and with a more vertical connection to the tank. The fuel fill hose was originally installed with a horizontal run on top of the water tank. This was creating most of the problem. I disconnected it from the water tank and then repositioned it to have a constant slope to the tank connection. Except fora couple of marinas that have something different with their fuel fill nozzles, we have all but eliminated the burp.
Attached Thumbnails
0804171618a.jpg   0804171618.jpg   0804171616.jpg  

Old 08-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Captain

What year and model Maxum is this on?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Lieutenant

It's a 1998 2800 SCR. I also meant to show some other pics of the platform. The addition of the grill pedestal base for our Magma has us grilling way more than we used to when it was in the cockpit or off a railing.
Attached Thumbnails
0430161511b.jpg   0430161511c.jpg   0514171134a.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Captain

Hard to believe those systems are that sensitive....but it sounds like you have them fixed.