Old 03-22-2023, 07:29 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default HOW do I get this trim panel out of my 4600

I need to access the base of my Stanchions to tighten and fix a leak, but I can NOT get this trim panel in the front cabin loose. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on how to get this piece off?
GP
Attached Thumbnails
Max4600 forward cabin trim.jpg  

Moretoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #2
Lt. JG

On my 4100 SCA I had to remove the vertical panel to the left of your picture to gain access to L-bracket holding the soffet

Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:59 PM   #3

What year? On my old 1997 2800, that same trim panel was screwed in from outside of the hull, through the rubrail based and into the backside of that panel. To remove, I would have had to remove the run rail insert, then remove the screws, then resinstall the rubrail insert again.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:50 PM   #4
Lt. JG

OK, for anyone interested, I figured it out. Remove the recessed lights, and there is an L bracket above each one that you can unscrew through the 2.5" hole. This lets you bend down the panel enough to see that it is attached to a 1x2 piece of wood at the front bottom edge. IF you strain, you can barely get a small screwgun in and unscrew a series of wood screws every 16" along the bottom of the panel that attach the 1x2 to the horizontal base. This 1x2 is also attached to the top of the Port locker, and it's screwed in from the bottom, and inaccessible. I just shoved a big screwdriver under it and pried it out. It's unseen, and I'm TIRED of messing with it. Also, the CEILING panels are screwed in FROM THE TOP, making them almost impossible to remove if you want to through-bolt hardware to the deck. Pretty, but a TERRIBLE design for anyone who needs to work on their boat.
Moretoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:22 AM   #5
Admiral

This I’d very common by most boat manufacturers. Yes boats are built from the inside out and a lot assembly occurs prior to the lower and upper hulls being mated. Ease of manufacturing but a nightmare for later work.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4600, repair, trim