Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Help with Windlass Remote Switch

O.K. I hate everything related to electrical. Love to do it myself, and I have a feeling this is a pretty stupid question, BUT - I need help.
2000 2800 SCR with windlass switch at the dash. No foot pedal or anything on the bow. Rode gets jammed up often and running back and forth or worse yet yelling up / down just isn't working.
Brand new Windlass installed last season works great, but I've just received an inexpensive "wireless remote".
4 wires marked up / down / + / ground.
What the heck do I attach them to? There are 4 wires behind the momentary switch on dash. 2 yellow / 2 red.
Any help here?
Or do I install the remote unit under the deck at the connection point to the Windlass?
Thank you in advance

Mothers Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
Admiral

I'm confused is the new windless wired to the old helm switch? Or are you looking to add a receiver for the wireless?

What brands were the old and new windless units?

Just received wireless remote, is it the same brand as the windless? Any instructions for the wireless and new windless?

I'm thinking the two reds are both 12V and the yellows are the wires for up and down. Your receiver will need 12V which you have and then you'll need to determine which yellow is up and which is down. Finally you'll need to run a ground.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Thank you for responding.
Not sure of manufacture for the Windlass: I bought new at West Marine last year. Works fine, all wiring was already there from previous motor failure.
The momentary switch is on dash (3 way up down off)
I think your right. 2 yellows are up and down and the 2 reds have to be power? I will test this evening. The remote had no directions just 4 wires that I did figure out via google are up / down / + / grnd Each wire has an end fitting (don't know what it's called, circle of metal to attach to a post) Do I simply attach + to one of the existing positive terminals on back of existing dash switch, ground to any ground, up and down to the two yellow wires??
If so, I guess I have a 50/50 shot at getting it right the first time?
I know this sounds real stupid, but I really do hate anything electrical
Mothers Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothers Day View Post
Thank you for responding.
Not sure of manufacture for the Windlass: I bought new at West Marine last year. Works fine, all wiring was already there from previous motor failure.
The momentary switch is on dash (3 way up down off)
I think your right. 2 yellows are up and down and the 2 reds have to be power? I will test this evening. The remote had no directions just 4 wires that I did figure out via google are up / down / + / grnd Each wire has an end fitting (don't know what it's called, circle of metal to attach to a post) Do I simply attach + to one of the existing positive terminals on back of existing dash switch, ground to any ground, up and down to the two yellow wires??
If so, I guess I have a 50/50 shot at getting it right the first time?
I know this sounds real stupid, but I really do hate anything electrical
Yep, you can use a meter or a 12V test light to see which yellow gets power in down position so you will know it's the down wire.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote