Old 07-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Generator

Any thoughts on powering my boat. Iam thinking of a belt drive generator and attaching pulley and clutch to run power with one engine running. This way I can use an engine as a generator motor and can disengage genset with a clutch like on a air conditioner. Could just install a genset but not enough room or I could go battery bank and charge direct from alternators. Does anybody have any thoughts on this topic. My problem is halogen lights the water heater and the electric stove I think that draws 3000 watts when both elements are on not interested in changing it to gas.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Admiral

A generator is specifically design for this and typically has two running rpm based on electrical load.

To do what you suggest will consume more fuel than a genny, 8 cylinders vs at most 3. This would put a large load on the engine and if operating it while underway there will be an unbalance of power. The electric clutch and belt will need to be sized for load an operating generator would excerpt.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Captain

I don't think a belt drive generator would work for a number of reasons.
1. Size constraints. A 3kw gen head will probably be 18" across.
2. Variable engine speed. No way to control voltage.
3. Too much load for a belt

If you're interested in getting hot water while underway, that is easy. You can plumb the water heater to use engine coolant to heat the water.

If you want to cook, use the alcohol burners in the stove.

Buy LED bulbs.

The one i have tossed around is putting in an automotive air conditioner. That can run off the variable engine speed, and would allow for ac while an engine is running. It would take some custom plumbing, but thats not too difficult. The issue i keep running into when i think about it is what to do with the condensor. If i had a live well, I'd just put it in there and run the pump. There are some days where a little ac vent at the helm blowing cold air in my face would be the most amazing thing ever....
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
A generator is specifically design for this and typically has two running rpm based on electrical load.

To do what you suggest will consume more fuel than a genny, 8 cylinders vs at most 3. This would put a large load on the engine and if operating it while underway there will be an unbalance of power. The electric clutch and belt will need to be sized for load an operating generator would excerpt.
Thanks re the variable RPM you can get a constant speed clutch that maintains a set RPM no matter what the engine is doing. I done really have enough room for a genset outside engine room. The water tank no longer lives in engine bay and gas been moved to the bow. So a belt drive gunny could fit there. What about hydraulics instead? Unfortunately the stove is all electric. I plan to go LED on lighting so really just want to run gunny while using water and stove Iam not really concerned about fuel usage but my main concern was sparking in engine room on a belt drive system
Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Excuse the spelling damm auto replace on iPad
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Thanks re the variable RPM you can get a constant speed clutch that maintains a set RPM no matter what the engine is doing. I done really have enough room for a genset outside engine room. The water tank no longer lives in engine bay and gas been moved to the bow. So a belt drive gunny could fit there. What about hydraulics instead? Unfortunately the stove is all electric. I plan to go LED on lighting so really just want to run gunny while using water and stove Iam not really concerned about fuel usage but my main concern was sparking in engine room on a belt drive system
Well if you want a genny to make hot water why not just plumb the engine to the water heater? They are designed for this. Now if overnighting this will require running the engine long enough to heat up but you'll have to do the same waiting for the electric element to heat the water.

No way to get around the electric stove without changing it over to alcohol but that will be cheaper than what you are considering.

I would be more concerned about the genny being spark protected than the belt.

Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Excuse the spelling damm auto replace on iPad
Happens to me as well.

Mike