Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Ge coat paint color matching on 1994 2300sc

I have a little project where I am filling in a chip in the gel coat/underlying fiberglass and need to color match (dark blue) of the gel coat on my 1994 2300sc. It's a relatively small spot maybe 2 x 2 inches on the starboard side of the stern end of the boat that's not too obvious but since the boat has been kept in good condition I'd like to get as close as I can. Any pointers where to find and color match paint or how to do the job better are appreciated. Thanks Marek

Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Marek, welcome aboard.

Ia sure others who have more experience here you chime in. Get a good gel coat patch kit. it will have several colors for mixing. It's a little bit of experimenting mixing colors until you get as close a match to your gel coat as possible. Then add hardner and apply. May require a lite sand with ~2000 grit then polish and wax

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Admiral

Marek.........what Mike said but if you want to watch it being done U-tube has a bunch of short tutorials on how to this.

Let us know how you did......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Ensign

I had purchased a kit that came with resin and hardener (peroxide) and then separately a medium blue tone that I used on the first layer. However that's too far off (it's more like dark royal blue) to continue so at this point I can either purchase a better match to finish the patching job or simply find a color matched acrylic spray paint, which may be simpler but a poorer job since I still need to polish wax and who knows how that paint will hold up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Marek.........what Mike said but if you want to watch it being done U-tube has a bunch of short tutorials on how to this.

Let us know how you did......

Roger
Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Admiral

acomplete kit will come with may colors so you can mix to get different tints. Like adding some white to tone down a darker blue to a lighter one.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Commander

If you know the name of your boat's color, you can get a patch kit from www.spectrumcolor.com
I recently needed to match my 1995 3200 SCR boat's color (Dream White), they had the color, sent me the kit, its a spot-on match in color. Easy to mix as well.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #7

Double check and make sure you can't still get the original gelcoat color. I recall the last time I checked you still could. It's called "Dream White".

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote