Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 AM   #21
Lt. Commander

Default Flooring

Thanks for the positive feedback. Dustin07 and Mike, keep me posted if either one of you do the carpet on the vertical surfaces. I was thinking about doing that too but the carpet looks tucked up under surfaces and complicated to change out. I think I'm just going to clean mine for now but if you guys do it and report it wasn't that bad I may go forward with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #22
Ensign

I just did a full remodel on the inside of our 3300, also using vinyl flooring, and I replaced all the old carpet on the vertical surfaces. The carpet turned out to be the most time consuming and challenging part of the job as the factory carpet is installed pretty much before anything else in the boat, and there are so many irregular shaped areas and angles, so removing it and retrofitting new to look just as good was a challenge, but in the end worth the effort. The flooring I used was Nautikflor as I wanted to go with a Teak and Holly look. We also remodeled the dinette into a circular lounge instead of the booth style. I will make a new thread and post pics of the project.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:04 AM   #23
Lt. JG

Newish 3300 owner here getting into projects - nice work SPH801 - following in your footsteps - this site is great. I have a few other projects in queue first...enjoying this Maxum community - great stuff. While I love a good puzzle and the satisfaction of figuring out the solution, it's nice when someone else has solved something and I can rapidly apply it vs. taking hours away from actual boating while I figure it out
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #24
Lt. JG

Can't wait to see pics!
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Time View Post
I just did a full remodel on the inside of our 3300, also using vinyl flooring, and I replaced all the old carpet on the vertical surfaces. The carpet turned out to be the most time consuming and challenging part of the job as the factory carpet is installed pretty much before anything else in the boat, and there are so many irregular shaped areas and angles, so removing it and retrofitting new to look just as good was a challenge, but in the end worth the effort. The flooring I used was Nautikflor as I wanted to go with a Teak and Holly look. We also remodeled the dinette into a circular lounge instead of the booth style. I will make a new thread and post pics of the project.

I look forward to seeing the pics!

Old 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #26
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Newish 3300 owner here getting into projects - nice work SPH801 - following in your footsteps - this site is great. I have a few other projects in queue first...enjoying this Maxum community - great stuff. While I love a good puzzle and the satisfaction of figuring out the solution, it's nice when someone else has solved something and I can rapidly apply it vs. taking hours away from actual boating while I figure it out

Thank you. I agree, seeing projects others do is inspiring and helpful.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

Hello all. I hope everyone had (is having) a great boating season. I know my wife and I did. Multiple trips to Block Island, Newport RI, Hyannis, Martha's Vineyard and countless others. Through it all I'm happy to report our new floor has been fantastic. Not only does it look great but it cleans up nice too! Even when wet the slight texture provided enough grip that slipping wasn't an issue. I slipped more on the small throw rug my wife threw down. Lol. Have a great rest of the season everyone.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:57 PM   #28
Lieutenant

I want to replace the old carpeting in the cabin with a new one. I removed the old carpet, and now I'm faced with a choice: should I buy regular carpeting from a flooring store or look for something labeled 'Marine Grade'?

Based on the backing of the original carpet, it seems to be just regular carpeting.
Attached Thumbnails
35.jpg   36.jpg   37.jpg   38.jpg  
Ivan Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM   #29
Ensign

I replaced all the carpet in our 3300, but most of the horizontal surfaces I replaced with Vinyl plank flooring. The only horizontal surface where I kept carpet is in the elevated lounge/dinette area, as this doesn't see a lot of traffic or wet feet.

The carpet I used was the highest quality LifeProof polyester carpet Home Depot stocks. It also has some Pet proof treatment. Price per square foot wasn't really a major consideration as it is not a huge area required - we wanted a rich look, that was durable enough to hold up for us in a boat. We chose a patterned plush style for the rich look we were looking for.

To apply it, I used no backing - it is glued straight to the ply/fiberglass of the boat, so if any of your surface is damaged or uneven, you will want to prep that accordingly before applying your carpet. I used an industrial grade sprayable contact adhesive, not the Home Depot stuff, and a small putty gun and compressor to apply it to the carpet pieces outside and brushed and rolled on the surfaces inside the boat. I also used a small nailer/stapler with stainless steel staples to attach the carpet. It is nothing like laying carpet in your house - the skills required are more like upholstery than carpet laying. Most important thing is cutting and prefitting before you get messy with the glue.

For the horizontal surfaces, I used Nautikfloor marine vinyl plank flooring with a Teak and Holly look. I wanted to keep the styling similar to the original, which had a weird shaped Teak and Holly laminate in front of the sink and carpet around it. It was a terrible idea and didn't hold up well as the carpet wore and compressed around the edges of the laminate, so I busted it up and removed carpet and laminate entirely, patched, leveled, and sealed the base floor, which was not very even at all, then applied a new single piece half inch marine ply overlay glued, screwed and sealed before gluing the vinyl plank down. I also reworked the cubby holes as I didn't like the way the original ones had carpet wrapped over the edges where it would get worn and frayed - better to have hardwood trim on the exposed edges. Yes the Nautikfloor is designed to be glued not floating like home grade vinyl plank. It has been down 3 years now and has held up perfectly to a LOT us use and abuse and still looks as good today as when I installed it.

For the rear cabin/bedroom we did the same thing - new carpet on the horizontal surfaces and the vinyl plank Nautikfloor on the floor. Given the age of our 3300s now and the fact that I've now seen another one with the same issue as ours, I highly recommend tearing out the rear cabin floor altogether and building a new one - it's not hard to do and you will almost certainly find a bunch of black mold underneath and more than likely a rotten stringer as the original builders were pretty slack with the fiberglassing in this area. After replacing the rotted stringer and reglassing and gel coating the subfloor, I made the new suspended floor from 3/4 inch marine ply in two sections with the front section section screwed in and the entire rear section removable to provide access to the forward bilge.

The results of the new carpet and Teak and Holly look flooring are stunning. It will completely transform and uplift the look of the boat. Our upholster redid most of the vinyl upholstery inside also as we wanted to remodel the useless (to us at least) dinette seating into a wrap around lounge with a smaller table.

I've included a couple of pics of the work in progress. I need to make an effort to post good pics of the finished project - will try to get to that soon.
Attached Thumbnails
599.jpg   656.jpg   725.jpeg   1122.jpeg   1233.jpg  

Third Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:02 PM   #30
Lieutenant

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I own a smaller boat than yours (2400 SCR), so this job will be slightly easier.

However, I'm not sure whether I need to replace the wooden floor or not; I will think about it.
Ivan Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:28 PM   #31
Ensign

For the stairs going down into the cabin I used Seadeck for those as they frequently have wet feet on them and get a lot of traffic, plus it matches what we have out in the cockpit area.

I think it's fine to use regular polyester carpet in a cabin provided it is not constantly getting wet - if that will be the case in your boat then I would consider marine grade or indoor/outdoor carpet.

Third Time is offline   Reply With Quote