Old 11-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Captain

Default Engine Hatch

In the plan for installing new intake manifolds (and a bunch of other items) one issue which has plagued me on the 3000 SCR is water that leaks down from the engine hatch onto the engines. This pools in the intake and although I’ve never had one rust thru, it’s something I’d like to eliminate.

I’m assuming that water overflows the coaming designed to channel the water to the drain/scuppers. Any other ppl have a similar issue?

I’m thinking some sort of seal applied to the underside of the hatch could provide the water resistance, so if there are any suggestions of a source or style, please post a reply...

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Admiral

For what it's worth on my 01 3000 scr i get the rain in through the Maxum engine vents on the side. I also have my Bimini up all this time too. I have never had that problem ... which doesn't help you at all....sounds like the rain it's not rounding the corners for the drains but instead overflowing onto your engines... check the front end of the engine compartment lid to see if there is room for the water to drain correctly. ... have you poured water there just to see what happens?

Good luck
Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Captain

I too get water thru the side vents on occasion. I did the baby powder test and found that the forward and sides channel the water to the rear, and then overflows the lip on the aft side before it has a chance to hit the drain. I’m leaning towards a B style weatherstrip that I can stick to the underside of the hatch.

That should allow a full wash down as well as any rain from a normal afternoon t-storm to stay in the ‘gutter’ until it reaches the scupper drains.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I tried weatherstripping on my 2900 (for noise, not water) and found it was hard to get it to stay in place. The glue stayed plyable so it would “slide” around.

One product you may want to check out is “sugru”. It’s a moldable silicone putty and I’ve used it all over. It cures into a hard rubber and is great for filling gaps, etc where you need something that can be formed to shape. You might be able to “build up” the gutter in the corner. Then with some wax paper, close the hatch to mold it to the hatch surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yahoo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

On my 3100SE water was getting into engine compartment and dripping onto the port engine from around the metal hatch support that runs fore and aft. The previous owner never replaced the bolts/screws that hold the support in and removed the sealant around the support ends. Rain water was running down the gutter and dripping on port flame arrestor and intake manifold. If your boat doesn't have this support never mind ��
Trey5684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Captain

I too have the metal channel and the join where it meets the fiberglass is a weak point in the design when it comes to water. I’ve recaulked the joint liberally and seems to help. The issue described is exactly what I’m trying to cure, only on both sides.

Thanks for all the suggestions!