Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Electrical Outlet

Want to add a 110 electrical outlet out in the cockpit area, somewhere aft of the sink, so I can plug the vacuum cleaner in. I am thinking that would make a good spring project for our 2001 3000 SCR.

I know what equipment to use (as far as a ground fault plug and the wiring)just curious if anyone else has put an outlet in and where. There is a junction box in the engine room that would be convenient but would that be that right place to splice into the power?

Any one done such a project? suggestions?

Thanks

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
Admiral

I don't think that junction box is for the 120vac outlet circuit...I think that's the j-box for your ac...is there an outlet in the aft berth??...do you have a fridge in the cockpit??...I'd look at either the cockpit fridge or aft berth ac outlet and tap into that....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #3

Lightbulb Great minds think alike......fools often differ.

Hey Roger,

I put in the outlet that you are planning on my 3300SCR. As for the wiring, I could have tapped into the 110 outlet that is below the ice maker, but decided against that and instead ran some marine grade romex cable from the water resistant gasket covered outlet up to the electrical panel and tied into the GFI protected circuit of the Receptacle breaker. That way it is consistent with the nomenclature of the panel labeling. As far a accessing the area behind the outlet, I'm not sure on the 3000SCR configuration but on my 33 it was easy to get to by removing an access panel in the port side storage cabinet ceiling in the Aft cabin. From there it was a breeze to route through to the breaker panel. I cut the hole only after seeing what was behind the proposed location with a roto-zip tool and it left a perfect non-chipped hole. An old trick is to cover the area with duct tape to prevent any scratching of the gelcoat surrounding the the hole while cutting and viola' Done.

It is really handy to have the outlet in the cockpit. It's great for all different uses at the bar location; mixing up some tangy margaritas in the blender, vacuuming or powering a small space heater in the fall to just charging a cell phone. It also eliminates the trip hazard of running an extension cord from the kitchen outlet to the cockpit area.
Good luck with your project. Bella Sera 3300SCR / Jeff

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Admiral

Hey Jeff......Thanks for the bit of insight! As much as I have contorted myself down in the beilge looking for an easy route for all this, I guess when the weather breaks to see how your idea might work! Did you tie into the panel to a circuit or pigtail into the GFI kitchen receptacle that is on the port side.

Another idea that I had is use the aft cabin outlet on the starboard side and pigtail into that. Do the routing in the engine compartment.

Anyways thanks for the reply!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #5

Hi Roger,

Your welcome. I spliced into the line Kitchen outlet line I believe (teminating behind the electrical dist. panel). It is serverd by the GFI outlet in the forward vee berth. So by tripping the test button it cuts the power to the new outlet at the bar Sink.

Take care. Bella Sera 3300SCR / Jeff
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote