Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Bamboozled! 1st project turned bad

I bought a 1998 Maxum 1700SR through one of those donated vehicle charity places. It was pretty nice looking, the newest boat there, and about perfect size and price. It happens to be my 1st boat purchase, so I'm a novice when it comes to all things marine...but I was excited to begin cleaning and restoring this boat. I figured I could handle most of what it needed, and would use this as a learning experience.

Boy was I wrong...it turns out I pick a boat that had been sunk in salt water, pulled out, and left to sit in a driveway. I had a professional come to the house and take a look, and take it all apart for me. Needless to say, the motor is pretty much shot, as well as a good amount of the electrical systems. I will be parting out anything salvageable. Message me if you are looking for something in particular. I am in Massachusetts. Pictures to follow.

BWT, I didn't see any place for things for sale, so if this is posted in the wrong area, let me know...

citrineaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Admiral

Well wecome aboard. Sounds like you did learn something, cheap boats aren't so cheap. Next time have a friend who is much better versed in boats look at it with you or better yet spend the few $100's and have it surveyed.

Better luck next time, that is if this experience didn't scare you away.

BTY: There is a classified section to sell stuff under of the forum list.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #3

Welcome Aboard Cintrineaux!! I would think they would have been ethically compelled to divulge that the boat was a salvage. If It were me, I would bring it back. You are going to have problems that will haunt you for the life of the boat. The engine and all the eletrical is going to need to be replaced. Sure you try to flush it and let it dry and what not, but that is all screaming at 100mph towards corrosion.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Sure hope you are able to get into boating anyway, even if not into this boat. I have a 97 1750SR and we have so much fun with it all over!