Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Auxiliary outboard on Maxum SC2400

Hi

Just bought an SC2400 and having intermittent stall issue with the engine. Not good for passenger confidence and really don't want to bother the lifeboat!

Considering getting an outboard and stowing it in the rear ski locker - just in case.

Has anybody got experience with fitting an auxiliary outboard bracket to probably the swim platform of this model and if so what engine size - just a get-me-home 5HP?

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

5HP will be tough in a headwind. 9.9 might be more effective. You're better off addressing the engine issues. Express models aren't really setup well for a kicker.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for your input. We are addressing the engine issue but feel it's a good idea to have a backup. The motor would be stowed in the ski stern locker and used only in emergency and of course regular run ups. 6HP is probably the max weight somebody can handle when/if the brown stuff hits the fan.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
Hi

Just bought an SC2400 and having intermittent stall issue with the engine. Not good for passenger confidence and really don't want to bother the lifeboat!

Considering getting an outboard and stowing it in the rear ski locker - just in case.

Has anybody got experience with fitting an auxiliary outboard bracket to probably the swim platform of this model and if so what engine size - just a get-me-home 5HP?

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks
Me too!

I carry a large battery in the center floor space and an small outboard in the back boat storage bin. Last time I just had everyone balance out mid boat and held onto the portable trolling motor sitting on the back boat seat, because the way they are designed to fit will not mount.
attackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi
We're having an engine bracket manufactured which will be bolted to the swim platform. If interested I can let you have pics when completed and fitted.
We haven't had a recurrence of the stall issue (touch wood) since changing the oil pressure sensor.
Mike
Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Ensign

Oh! what's the large battery for?
Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #7
Ensign

I would be interested to see pictures of your custom (auxiliary) outboard bracket.
I do not have specific engine problems but am always conscious that, if the old girl fails, I am stranded….
Paul T Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi Paul

We no longer have this boat, however, we were able to buy a ready made bracket - see images.

We used a 6HP Yamaha "long shaft", regular length means some of the time you chop air.

Sadly it was too long for the stern toy box but it increased confidence especially with the wives - (old girls!).

Attached pics. which I hope will help.

Happy boating.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Boat_Sale_12_Edit.jpg   Boat_Sale_09_Edit.jpg  
Old 09-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #9
Ensign

Looks perfect. Just the job. The standard swim deck on mine has a sloping rear edge which, I suspect, may make it difficult to make this wet up work.

Yours looks (looked) good though.

Thanks for the photos.

Paul T Morris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auxiliary, bracket, outboard, sc2400, swim platform