Old 07-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Anyone have any thoughts on my wire diagram?

Hello, So I decided to rewire my entire battery/charging system. I have come up with this diagram to help me keep everything organized. Any one have any thoughts?
I plan on using proper marine tinned wires, and correct gauge sizing as well. I just need to know for sure what I have come up with is ok
Attached Thumbnails
JDamery wire diagram.jpg  

JDamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Admiral

I would run the negative to the engine block directly from the batteries instead of from the negative buss bar.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
Captain

Bilge pump needs to be connected straight to the batteries not through a switch.
Look to complicated to me.
Don
2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I would run the negative to the engine block directly from the batteries instead of from the negative buss bar.

Ok, that makes more sense. Ill add an additional cable. Ive got all materials and hydraulic cable crimper to make custom lengths. I’ll have all the cables neatly tucked, labled.

Any other thoughts? Or all looks good?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald View Post
Bilge pump needs to be connected straight to the batteries not through a switch.
Look to complicated to me.
Don
Ive got it connected to the same stud terminal ad the cable coming from the battery. I do have a inline 5amp fuse tho
Old 07-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDamery View Post
Ok, that makes more sense. Ill add an additional cable. Ive got all materials and hydraulic cable crimper to make custom lengths. I’ll have all the cables neatly tucked, labled.

Any other thoughts? Or all looks good?
Is your battery charger a dual bank? If so I would run each banks output to either the batteries directly or to batt 1 and batt 2 of the selector switch.

Mike
Old 07-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
Ensign

I don’t believe it’s duel, that’s why I’ve got it to charge the house side, and then let the alternator charge the start battery with a Blue Sea system acr
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
Ensign

Oops forgot to put, it’s a true power combination 2000 pure sine wave….Inverter/Charger. I know I’ve seen set ups where they have this inverter plus an additional battery charger, I haven’t had the pleasure of taking the boat out and beating the crap out of the house batteries yet, I want to see if I will really need a bigger battery charger.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:07 PM   #9
Admiral

Guess you’ll find out.

Mike
Old 07-20-2021, 02:23 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Guess you’ll find out.

Also is it necessary to fuse the cables coming from the ACR (the +)to the battery, since I will have a fuse on the negative for the ACR is it really necessary to fuse the other ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
Captain

DC side looks ok. For the AC side, are you redirecting your shore power to the inverter and then using the inverter to pass-thru current when plugged in?

You are missing the bonding connection between the AC panel , the Ac output ground and the inverters case earth (which you do show going to the neg buss/engine block).
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Also is it necessary to fuse the cables coming from the ACR (the +)to the battery, since I will have a fuse on the negative for the ACR is it really necessary to fuse the other ones?

I only see one fuse in the drawing going from the house battery bank to the positive buss bar. Ignoring the bilge pump fuse that is. What does the ACR manufacturer recommend?

Mike
Old 07-21-2021, 05:07 AM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
DC side looks ok. For the AC side, are you redirecting your shore power to the inverter and then using the inverter to pass-thru current when plugged in?

You are missing the bonding connection between the AC panel , the Ac output ground and the inverters case earth (which you do show going to the neg buss/engine block).

Sorry for 20 questions, this is my first boat, but I’m not new to the automotive mechanical area; I do understand it’s completely different from vehicles. I’m trying to do everything the correct way to keep my family and myself safe. I guess I have become very paranoid in the last couple days as I saw a news story of a boat exploding because the fart fan wasn’t turned on in the engine room, and then my sister and her family were on a friends boat (all adults are in their 40’s) a few days later, and the same thing happened, they insisted the exhaust fan was on though,however it burned all of her arm hairs off, she was that damn close!

I am also connecting the TnT pump to the starter , wiring it parallel for power, unless you think thats bad. I have learned since posting this that I also need to wire my alternator to the house bat otherwise ill cause a relay cycling with the acr.
Is it overkill to put another 300anl fuse on start bat also? I have redrawn my wire diagram, when i get home I’ll snap another pic…it includes the ac panel

mmwjr:

So after re-reading the manual, its only necessary to fuse the acr (+) cables incase there was physical damage caused to them…

Old 07-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #14
Ensign

Sry for delay, currently in hospital for a wound that got greatly infected.. will post as soon as I can

Old 07-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Sry for delay, currently in hospital for a wound that got greatly infected.. will post as soon as I can

Most importantly get yourself health first.

Mike
Old 08-14-2021, 10:25 PM   #16
Ensign

I still don’t have the wiring diagram drawn out yet, but another question I have, should I connect my alternator to the start battery? And then should I have my battery charger connected to the house battery? From what I’ve been reading I should have the alternator and the shore power battery charger both connected to the house battery and then have the start battery connected only through an ACR

Old 08-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #17
Captain

Alternator to starting battery.
That’s based upon my belief that having a fully charged battery for engine is a priority over any house loads.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:36 AM   #18
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsons121 View Post
Alternator to starting battery.
That’s based upon my belief that having a fully charged battery for engine is a priority over any house loads.

Ok, that’s my belief too, but thrown off by all this damn reading and youtube video watching…
Thanks for helping me decide…