Old 03-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Adding generator to maxum 3300

Hello, I am new to the site. I am looking to purchase a 2003 Maxum 3300 SCR with twin mercruiser 5.7 BRAVO III out drives. Love the boat, looks great, well taken care of. Only downside I see is it does not have a generator. For what I will be doing, staying out anchored on the lake having a generator to run the AC, TV's and fridge is what I am looking for. Does anyone know what generators come with this model boat? Anyone have any experience adding a generator? I know it would be alot of work, mounting brackets, gas line, exhaust, etc but I'd I am thinking right I should be able to get the whole project done for around 10,000. Please, any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated before I purchase

Wkbrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Ensign

Are you thinking of doing this yourself, Or having a certified shop do it? If a shop, your estimate may be low. A lot of specifics involved with installing a marine gasoline genset to ensure not only proper, but more importantly safe operation. And for a boat of that age, you will never get the added expense out of it in resale value. Better to get one that already has an operable genset in it. I say this based on a years worth of reading posts from a lot of expert owners on this, the Bayliner and Sea Ray forums. Coupled to our own experience. We just recently purchased a 2004 boat which has a functional genset. That was a must. Looked at hundreds of boats over the past year, and was in your exact situation with several of them. But after looking for a "good used" genset and the prices of them, knew I would be out several thousand dollars even if I did the work. We also found a few boats with genset but the genset didn't work. Just needs a "tune up" they would say. Pass on those too. Believe me, a good boat with a functional genset will not be more than a thousand or so more than a duplicate without. It is just a matter of finding it.

PGI Conch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

Kohler gas generators are typically what is installed. The smallest they make is a 5K. Westerbeke makes a fuel injected 3.5K which only weighs about 188lbs.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:32 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Hey sorry for not getting on in a while, things have been crazy here lately. I bought the boat, had to fly to florida, checked the boat out and ended up getting it shipped back to nc right before the florida keys was shut down due to the coronavirus. Since I got it here to nc I have been using a harbor freight predator 3500 generator sitting on the back and its powering everything I want to power. It is a little bit of an eye sore sitting on the back but it will get the job done this summer. The boat naturally sits off to the port side a little more than the starboard, it currently has the fresh water tank on the starboard side so with that filled it evens out. Moving that to the port and adding a generator to the starboard should make it ride perfect, I will find d out next summer
Wkbrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #5
Ensign

Congratulations on the purchase. We had to do a generator on the rear swim platform on our Bayliner. It worked out and can be done. I miss living in Key West, but the Tarpon fishing is great here too. Enjoy your boat, and may your outings and adventures be memorable.
PGI Conch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

I've had a Honda 2K on my swim platforms since 2009.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Harbor Freight has a nice quiet 3500w inverter/generator. That powers my 3200SCR all day long on a tank of fuel 12hrs or more.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
Lieutenant

So your boat may look like this I believe ... (In NC too ..)
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20181007-215452_Instagram.jpg  
marcucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

Except my opening is in the middle of the stern.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I have a 2000 3300 SCR with no generator either. The cost to install one on a boat that age didn't make sense so I carry a Honda 2200 watt Genny. This sits on the swim platform or the bow and powers everything we need quietly while sipping fuel. There's very little maintenance and doesn't use our boat fuel. I know alot of boaters with built in gensets that carry a portable because they use less fuel and are quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, marine generator, maxum, maxum 3300