Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Commander

Default Add storage - 4100 SCA sundeck, under sink

This goes out to any 4100 SCA owners, or someone with a similar set up.

Looking under the sink on the sundeck, it seems like wasted space that I could put a storage locker in, with a nice little door. Only think back there is the waterline and sink drain, both easy to relocate to maximize the space.

Anyone do something like that?

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Location: Live in Mandevill, LA - Boat in Pensacola & Perdido, FL

Best way to see what's below the sink is to unscrew and pull out the Ice maker. Perhaps rest it on a foot ladder to hole the weight with the water and power lines still connected - should have enough slack on both. Now you can see a lot of where the space is being used and give you a chance to clean and lubricate the sliding door rail and rollers you normally don't have access to. I had to do this when I replaced the ice maker years ago and when I replace the sink and faucet also. BTW, I think the sliding door travels relatively close to that area you are considering...not much room. Let us know what you find out.

Glenn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
Commander

Thanks Glen ... I have looked back there and there's plenty of room between the sliding hatch and also under the sink (only the water lines down there) - I was wondering if anyone else had done the 'cut' and how they framed things out. I'm also considering pulling the ice machine and using that area for storage too - right now I store cleaning gear in there. The freezer in the galley makes plenty of ice. If push came to shove I could always use one of those tabletop ice makers ... the ones I've used in the past can put out a ton of ice.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks Paul, makes sense. Do you still have your Living room TV inside the cabinet....probably not. I pulled mine out a long time ago and use that area for tool storage. Put a 40" flat screen on top. Looking for more storage area is an on-going challenge.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Glenn,
I have done the same thing, removed the old TV and use that area for storage. Right now I am just using plastic bins to store items there. I have not had a good experience with the central vac and plan to remove that and the base speaker under the dinette seat for some extra storage there.
Scott
gregorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Scott, don't use it much, but the central vac seems to do the job for us...no problem. Lots of suction and reaches far-away spaces.
BTW, I'm soo bad on buying/keeping tools, hoses, filters, etc., I''m using the Master BR shower as a storage area!! I'm not much on organisation, as my wife reminds me often. Just the two of us, so not too bad on 1 shower.
Of course there is some storage binds under the V-berth mattress, but a real pain to access. Have a washer/dryer (never used) that takes up space also. No matter what boat you have, the owners probably complain of lack of storage space.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #7
Commander

TV on top of the cabinet just like you guys, and that big locker is all tools. Couple of plastic bins for 'not often needed' tools and three Harbor Freight tool bags - One each for - Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing stuffed in there along with a power drill. Agreed that the V-Berth under mattress is good only for long term stuff ... I keep extra oil, oil extraction pump and a complete anchor rode up there. The Admiral keeps on top of me storing things in the showers, but there's usually a cleaning bucket and maybe a hose in the forward one. That's one reason I'm looking to pull the ice maker, and use all that 'empty' area for storage. Figure I'd put the ice make up in my attic and offer it to next owner when the time comes.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Probably not a bad idea on getting rid of the ice maker. i just changed out min (3rd one). As you know....ain't cheap. Used long fellable water hose to the ice maker instead of the short hard hose. Makes it easier to take it out to work on.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Commander

We always have enough ice it seem - the Admiral drinks beer and I don't need much in my cocktails. If we ever really needed some we could buy one of those table top ice machines, they make more than enough and don't take up much real estate on the counter.

Tags
4100 sca, storage option