Old 07-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default AC solution

Hello all. Just thought I would share my AC solution. Not the most elegant option but works. My Maxum 3300 SCR didn't come with AC. I bought it last August and got by with fans and open hatches but this season wanted to be cool. My boats a 2000 so I didn't want to put in upgrades that I'll never see a return on plus other repair expenses popped up so I was looking for an economical solution. I was looking at portables but I had no place to put one where it wouldn't be in the way and they just don't make them small enough. I do have a shelf in the forward berth where a small window unit could sit. I purchased a 5000 BTU window unit. Using duct insulation and fittings I created a shroud over the exhaust and the created a separate shroud over the top, right and left intakes. I cut a thick piece of Plexi glass the shape of the porthole located right behind the AC. I cut a 4" hole in the center for the exhaust and a 3" hole on each side of the exhaust hole for the intakes and piped the shrouds to the plate using flexible dryer hose. The whole unit sits in a shallow stainless steel pan to catch the condensate. Works great and is out of the way. I'm into it for about $200.

(Don't mind the messy bed I was laying on it to hook everything up. Lol)

I've since trimmed out the unit with vinyl wood grain strips to hide the insulation and condensate is drained out the porthole plate I made by using an aquarium pump that can run wet or dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote