Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 3200 scr gets new upholstery

We are reupholstering the seats on the outside and putting down a looks like hardwood floor on the inside. When it's done I'll post pics. We took out the seats ourself and the captains chair was the worst to get out. I imagine it's going to be just as hard putting it back.

If anyone has tips on the captains chair please let me know.

Thanks

Maxum3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo....looking forward to seeing your progress.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Captain

I believe "bella serra" has quite a bit of experience with the drivers seat.......check his profile and pics.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Captain

Maxum 3200, how did you get the starboard outside rear seat back off???
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Howdy there Maxum3200,
As far as removing the Helm seat, (I hate to tell you) was the one of the worst experiences in dealing with modifications to Bella Sera. It starts out so simple right? How bad can it be? A few bolts and one beer and viola'! Done? Not so. What a cluster F' of a design. The seat is mounted with four stainless bolts holding the seat slider mechanism to the bottom the seat (which is made from uhmw type plastic sheet) with threaded inserts. Then the genius' attached the slider to cockpit fiberglass panel under the seat with four more bolts that extend into the aft cabin ceiling. (Wait for it now)
Sounds good so far, right? PROBLEM IS (Wait for it now!....)that they attached the seat before the headliner in the aft cabin was installed then covering them. Great! so when you turn the screw head from the top, the nut spins with it making it impossible to unbolt unless you put a wrench on the nut underneath which requires you to cut the head liner. There are so many examples of this on boats. The method of sequential fabrication they use cares rarely about how you are actually are gonna service the sucker.
ARGH! I musta spent at least half a day with a right angle ratcheting screw driver unscrewing the bolts that were at least 1 inch too long that were threaded into the seat bottom, (at least they had the sense to use threaded inserts in the seat bottom!) and there is absolutely ZE-RA-HO room for your hands to get even a 1/16 of a turn on the ratchet screw driver for each bolt. After using every swear word in the world to describe the moron that had anything to do with the way the seat went on, I finally got the damn seat off the slider base. If I was going to just reupholster the seat that would have fine until I had to put the seat back on but I was taking it off to install the scissor jack seat base I made. So that required me to deal with the previous issue of the spinning nuts, so I used a 4" abrasive cut off wheel mounted in my makita right angle grinder to cut the bolt heads off and left the flush headless bolts in since they were covered by the new seat base and just sealed them with 3M #5200marine sealant. The new seat base is held on with stainless sheet metal screws.
Anyway this is the result which posted previously but some new comers may not have seen it. Good Luck in getting that SOB off, I recommend having a freshly stocked beer cooler nearby to ease the inevitable tension this exercise will cause!
Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Lt. JG

There is a bracket on it thats in the corner by the cooler you have to get to and sort of lift up and down and around until it loosens up to come off. It was also glued. Someone used silicone which made it nearly impossible to get off. I used a thin piece of metal that I found laying around in the storage facility and used that like a file to get underneath and kind of scrape off the silicone and glue. I have some pics of it now. I'll post them tonight.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Omg you said it just right! It was the worst to take off! I watched my husband sweat his you know what off trying to figure it out! Why did you put that metal bracket on? I mean it makes sense since when your sitting and driving the boat you can't see anything and basically have to stand to drive the dam thing..... But how did you come up with that and where did you buy that and the foot stepper thing at? Price? I think that's how the boat should have been made. We thought we would have to go into the headliner.... We did for that little arm rest thing which I couldn't believe they had a screw for that thing as well! Our seats should be done in the next 3 weeks and then we will be putting everything back together.I'm sure I'll be posting with questions. If you could tell me more about where you got the metal bracket for the chair and the foot rest thing I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Hi again Maxum3200,
Looks like you guys got yer work cut out for you there. Hope the new seat skins turn out like you want. Regarding the adjustable seat mount, I made it myself since it was not available after a lengthily web search. I own a company that makes specialized robotic welding machinery so this was not very difficult to fabricate. The scissor mechanism also features 2" of vertical springloaded suspension travel to help soak up the bumps on rough water. As I mentioned before I posted it on this site here is the link; http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...for-Bella-Sera...
Regarding the foot rest, it is store bought from Garelick industries. I paid about a hundred bucks for it so shop around with the part # on the web. I mounted it by drilling into the aft cabin bulkhead with stainless screws backed up with stainless fender washers and acorn nuts to finish the bolt threaded ends. http://www.northeastmarineelectronic...ht15width.aspx
You're right about the comfort of the seat height though. My girlfriend and I absolutely love the set up we have. I even added some height adjustable arm rests I got from http://chairarmpads.com they work fantastic all together. You can see much better sitting up higher to navigate and be able to see above your guests plus I like being above the windshield to get more fresh air breeze. Also the seat acts a a leaning post while standing and gives you the needed support while docking or whenever you want to stand at the helm station. Good luck on your big o'l 3200!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Admiral

DAng Bella
you should manufacture those as a kit and sell em...betcha you could sell a bunch right here!!
nice job by the way!!

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #10

Thanks SP, you made me blush online!

Bella Sera 3300SCR