Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2001 3500 scr shaft seal

Any of you guys replace your PTI pss for a glide ort tides marine shaft seal? if so did you find the construction of the mechanical seal to be more beneficial for the application? My pss keeps letting water in after a run and I wanted to eliminate that all together.

Mbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #2
Lt. JG

I feel your pain. I had brand new PSS Seals installed in Jun 2022, and now, in Jun 2023 still have one (starboard) that I cannot stop the dripping (at rest). With V-drives, it seems impossible to get at it and attempt to 'clean out any debris' on the interface. Always battling water to the point that I just installed an extra bilge pump to move the water into the center bilge, where the original bilge pumps can push it overboard.

CapPap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Problem solved

Hey brother,

Thanks for the reply. It has been such a long time since I posted that I was able to take care of the problem in the meantime. I ended up using the pss pro shaft seal kit with the retention color to hold the rotor solid. The new set up has stopped the leak and I have been dry for last season and good so far this year. It is tight down there to work but with some patience and time everything worked out beautifully. Enjoy the boating season.
Mbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:52 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Interesting. Do you think your rotor was slipping up the shaft, and the pro collar has stopped that ? Or did you install an entirely new seal kit? Mine only has about 70 hours (mostly low rpm) on them. I managed to add some compression, but I still have a drip, even at rest.
CapPap is offline   Reply With Quote