Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #21
Commander

good news.... I got the radio working. it was only a fuse. still working on the trim issue ugggggg

Todd

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
Lt. Commander

Gotta be careful though, when you start working on the wires with high voltages they contain smoke and fireworks too!!
9Ball have you had the chance to check if you are getting power to the solenoid?? Voltmeters are a wonderful thing!

Too bad you don't live closer, I actually love tracking down wiring issues.. (So long as time and beer supply are ample)....

Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
Lt. Commander

Wow, now that is a boat i would like to do a deep clean and full detail on!! I have a 97 bowrider the same colour as yours and my trim packed up, like you it would go down but not up and made no noise when hitting the up button. My engineer bypassed the switch to check the pump was ok (which it was) and so was the switch and connections but still would not trim up, he just replaced the two wires from the switch to the pump and its been fine ever sinse. maybe there is something that snags the wire where its hidden after time as we had the same issue?

The plastic center cap in the throttle arm has to be snapped out and replaced to get the arm off to get to the fuse, so another shopping part on your list

For cleaning advice get yourself over to detailingworld, there you will be able to find a list of the best products to clean with My winter project is to replcae the MAXUM lettering as its like yours and the gold colour is naff, i used this guy recommended on this forum.

http://phunkingt.com/ The design is from a forum members boat

Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Just a quick edit, having leafs behind the throttle control could mean you had mice resting in there, hence the broken trim wire?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #25
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpa1 View Post
Just a quick edit, having leafs behind the throttle control could mean you had mice resting in there, hence the broken trim wire?
I did find a nest but no mice. I'll have to inspect all the wires. after I get settled in my new place.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
Commander

Now that I am moved into my new place, and I got a eng..... so in it goes this weekend!.
at least this time of year I don't have to worry about the beer getting warm! LOL

Pictures will be posted for all to enjoy!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

looking forward to this
Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

What engine did you end up with Todd?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #29
Commander

Not sure what year it is.. been trying to figure that out but got no answer from the local mercuiser dealer yet.... eng is very clean, runs smooth, no smoke. so I bought it ($500, that’s everything...... all the acc) figured I couldn’t go wrong ..... there are some configuration differences, the harness plug is in the front, and the CB is next to the fuel pump, it has a manual fuel pump, I don’t think it’s a big deal, but it is different

Todd
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #30
Commander

Here's some pic's http://theboat92.shutterfly.com/pictures/260
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #31
Commander

Are you sure this motor is correct for this boat? The second pic you posted shows "Engine Rotation.........LH". Does this mean it is a Counter Rotation engine from a dual engine boat? I don't have access to mine and I have never really paid that much attention to my sticker but I am pretty sure mine rotates RH.
Anyone else have some insight here?
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #32
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
Are you sure this motor is correct for this boat? The second pic you posted shows "Engine Rotation.........LH". Does this mean it is a Counter Rotation engine from a dual engine boat? I don't have access to mine and I have never really paid that much attention to my sticker but I am pretty sure mine rotates RH.
Anyone else have some insight here?
It's the same as the old eng...

Todd
Old 11-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #33
Commander

Finialy got the Old eng out and the New eng bolted in, I still have to hook everything up....but at least it's in.

When you have a truck, your "Friends" and I love them all but sometimes gezzzzz. Anyway, I had to modify the barn... we didn't think the Beams were strong enough to support the eng (really old barn) so we added 2 Oak 4x6x15's. Now we have to get them up there about 20' up, good thing the Safety Officer wasn't around, LOL.... we was standing on the rafters and the latter was too short so we put it in the bed of the truck. Beer was flowing. Oh we had fun with getting the barn ready. Then the Hoist was about 3" too short, not a Chain in sight soooooo I Rolled the Trailer onto 4 2x4' (2 under each tire) and TaaaDaaaa, got it.

There are a few configuration differences, The one that got me was the motor mounts are different, but easily fix just took the old ones off and we was good to go. I had to reroute the wire harness to make it fit the new eng. Old eng had the plug in the rear, and new eng was in the front.

The Goal now is the get her out for a test run Thanksgiving weekend!

Here's a few new pic's http://theboat92.shutterfly.com/pictures/260

Todd
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
Commander

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1321282962959.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1321283005823.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #35
Commander

I have a problem..... I installed the outdrive this morning....following the directions in the mercruiser manual..... here’s the issue.... It won’t go into reverse. it goes into forward and neutral but not reverse. if I disconnect the cable that goes to the outdive. Everything works... I can manually push the cable in and out of fwd and rev, very smooth... the throttle works perfect fwd and rev, but as soon as I hook it up.. it won’t go into rev.... This is all without the eng running...

any ideas....

Todd
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
Commander

Thanks to some help from SP, I got the outdive installed properly. AND.... I found the trailer button. who knew the button was located on the bottom aft corner of the throttle quadrent.. LOL now.... next issue..... The eng is a 1989. (4.3) Before I bought it I heard run... I have it installed in the boat and all hooked up. And it wont start. It cranks over just fine. Got power to the coil. But nothing out of the distributor. I hate electrical problems. I am thinking i might have to put the 1994 eng harness on the 1989 engine since the boat is a 1994?

Todd
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #37
Commander

Got her out for sea trials today! Big success. Only found 2 problems. The water temperature gauge doesn't work. And the depth finder doesn't work. Too small fixes will remedy that!

Todd

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1322423176509.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Commander

Spent 2 hours yesterday on just the Port side, Rubbing Compound working better than I thought, But the secret is Buff small areas not more than 3-4 ft and most important don't put your beer more than 3 ft from you. It's Looking pretty good.... this was the 1st pass, going to do the Stbd side today and hit the spots I missed then hit it with a Cleaner, then Wax. Oh and I have to take the "MAXUM" Letters off too.

Todd

Click image for larger version

Name:	0320121843-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1823
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Not a fun job at all Todd, but you'll appreciate all the hard work when it's finished.

Looking good.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
Commander

It may not be a showroom finish but.... it'll be close, not sure if my arms and back will appricate the hard work... at my age ...LOL