Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Projects and Customisations
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1989 Maxum 1700 XR MA

Folks, Newby here.

I took the plunge on March 27 2012, and purchased an inexpensive but what appears to be a very solid Maxum 1700 XR MA and trailer.

Prior to towing the boat home to Chicago, i looked and reached my hand, pressed a nail point, and looked pretty much everywhere and found just one small soft spot (ski locker edge).

Both the floor and transom both are solid, and while the inside of the boat had definitely seen better days, i saw my project.

When i bought it home, she was standing there, arms crossed. But, I immediatedly backed it up the driveway, and went to work.

Like all things, I did the "first run" cleaning. Put the tunes on, enjoyed the beautiful weather, and immediately cleaned her up for the first time.

There was indeed some discoloration on the vinyl, on the carpet but i got to that too, and it came out ok, but more to go.

And like most older maroon Maxums, she had seen her share of oxydation. Attacked that too, but need to address again.

The Force engine was dead and the dealer removed it before i purchased it, and the control wires were removed as well.

And the steering wheel seems locked right now, but havent really gotten to look at it.
Trailer is fine, and no canvas's. Some light mildew smell, but nothing seems to be growing.

Gas tank appears to be very clear, and no water stains or anything to believe that the stringers are rotted. And trust me, while i looked very hard, Im not oblivious to the reality that they could be shot in a boat this old.

Either way, I'm "all in" and have my project and my goals defined.

In short, I needed a boat to scoot around the lake with wife and 2 kids for about 40 hrs a summer. They need to know how to ski; we'll be tubing, morning fishing, and chilling. In short, I cannot wait.

So it is May 1, 2012, finally joined the forum, and here are my goals to accomplish before July 1, 2012.
  • Repowering it with refurb or new outboard (Eyeing up a New Suzuki 80hp (Comments please?) or Johnson 90hp refurb (90 might be overpowered, but cannot get a firm answer)
  • I will need to rewire it to minimum CG standards (Bow, stern lights, bilge, + stereo)
  • I want to tackle the oxyidation better (Used Biokleen but need another more potent solution, and comments)
  • I want to tackle the vinyl/and remove the older smell (Clean vinyl, shampoo carpet, and comments)
  • I want to install an hour gauge/tachometer (will do when re-power)

I will post some pics of her the day i bought her home.

(She will be known as Born to Run after the boss's song)

Thanks for any comments and support. Yes, me wife thought i was an idiot, but she quickly went out and bought a new sofa. (Funny how the quid pro quo scoreboard thingy always happens...)

Jay in Chicago
[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH] Click image for larger version

Name:	106_2714 s.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1898Click image for larger version

Name:	106_2715s.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	1899
jayinscottsdale2001 is offline   Reply With Quote