Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Community > The Dock Walk
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Commander

Cool Seeing the USA

So after some pestering from the admiral and a small inheritance I am looking at coming over to the USA next year for a look, I was only 11 years old the last time I was over and went to Florida, LA, NY, Colorado and to be honest only remember some of the place, so remembering that its me the wife, a 7 yo girl and a 1.5 yo boy travelling for @ this stage 3 weeks my questions to you all

When is the best time of year (we were thinking June/July)?
Where are some nice places to go to get a feel for the place?
Other than one of the Disney's (daughters request) what are some nice places to take a young family
Am I better sticking to one 1/2 (east/west, North/South) and coming back again to get the other side since I can only really get 3 weeks off at a time

And anything else you would like to throw in

Thanks in advance

Huddo

Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Wow! Sounds like a great idea....
Well..... Your idea of doing a half at a time isn't bad. That also may depend on your transportation....and which Disney you choose! It also depends on what you want to see....if you choose the Florida Disney...don't miss the Everglades or Key West! Florida is probably best visited during our winter (or a shoulder). Summer there is blazing hot and humid and considered the wet season....there is also great diving in the keys (I noticed your boat pic was from he water). The gulf coast has a ton of tourist activities as well...but I am not as familiar with much there.

California..I would say summertime is best. San Francisco is fantastic place to play tourist! One of my favorites. Wine country...LA beaches. Rugged dry mountains... California has a lot to offer.

If you like natural beauty, tough to beat the Pacific Northwest, Seattle area and a few hundred miles around it. (I live in the Seattle area). Snow capped mountains. Ocean, green forests....great boating, diving and any of the outdoor sports. Defiantly a summer destination..July or August for the best weather.

The middle of the country has a lot of open area....but also a lot of what makes America-America.
Have a great trip and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Commander

Sled600 thanks for giving me information and areas to look into, I hate going to travel agents they just want to book you on tours, I like getting a car and exploring myself, thanks heaps for your input
Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Commander

Huddo, if I may recommend Washington DC as a destination. I spent last summer there for work with my family and the chance to see all the museums, memorials and history is amazing. I'm from Maine and love the rural feel whe have here with the rocky coast, lobster, mountains and lakes. July up here us great and nowhere near as hot and humid as Florida. If you want a recommendation for a place to stay in DC, I would provide a recommendation for a great place to stay that will have more room than an apartment and has great accessibility to the city. Pacific northwest is really nice that time of year too.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Just noticed this post, Huddo. I agree with JP regarding Washington DC. I'm actually from, and in, the DC area (Fairfax, Va - 30 minutes from DC) and know it well. If your travel plans end up including Washington DC let me know and I'll pleased to help with suggestions. Also, dear wife and I are empty nesters, have pleanty of space, and would be happy to provide you and your family with a "home base" for as many days as you like if you decide to visit the DC area. Baby sitting can be arranged - for a fee.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Commander

WOW Dan, Blown away by your generousity, I will keep you all informed about our plans but at this stage DC looks like it will get a visitor, CountryMe thanks for the tip as well I have a friend that went to DC last year and rode a pushbike around and said it was the best part of his holiday.
Come on next year I say!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

It's nothing, Huddo. Really, it isn't. Just get in touch as the trip gets closer. We'll sort the details.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Commander

Well guys I have done it, booked the tickets , so start flooding me with recommended places to stay, or see, we are doing DC,NY, Miami, LA(Disneyland) and Hawaii , all in July, two kids one Nanna, and the admiral and I
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Admiral

Wow that's quite a spread of places to see in 1 month. How long do you plan to be in each place?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Commander

No boaters trip would be complete without seeing the "best" lake in the USA.

Then booking a scenic cruise to Rainbow Bridge.

Thats my backyard, I'd drop any city for a few days there, in Page AZ.

You will thank me many times over if you visit here....

http://www.lakepowell.com/play/tours...w-bridge-.aspx
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Wow that's quite a spread of places to see in 1 month. How long do you plan to be in each place?
I plan on 5 days in each place maybe 7 in LA thanks do disneyland, unfortunatley I have limitted time I can leave my work, the joys of owning your own business I guess
Old 04-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
No boaters trip would be complete without seeing the "best" lake in the USA.

Then booking a scenic cruise to Rainbow Bridge.

Thats my backyard, I'd drop any city for a few days there, in Page AZ.

You will thank me many times over if you visit here....

http://www.lakepowell.com/play/tours...w-bridge-.aspx
OldNo7, Thats next year for our 2nd visit, with the time restrictions we decided this year to do the east "ish" coast with Disney being and our exit flight being LA, 2015 I want to come back again and hit the middle and west, maybe even without the kids....(thank goodness they are not on the net yet - that could have got me busted!)
I am planning to come over and by another boat out of Florida or NY this trip and all going well the same in 2015 but keeping it in the states for a while and seeing more of your country
Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Lieutenant

I just saw this thread and had to give you my two cents. For your 2015 trip I would suggest a rental car/minivan (depending on the amount in the group) and make a trip from one coast to the other. Being in the military for 25 years, as well as being a military brat, I've done a lot of moving across the country. From Pennsylvania to California, Michigan to Florida, and a host of places in between.

Nothing beats a road trip from "sea to shining sea" to really soak up America! The interior holds so much to see and you don't always need a week at each destination. Places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Mammoth Caves, the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, and I could go on and on and on.........

scoutonwater is offline   Reply With Quote