Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Zincs only lasted 2.5 months!!!!!

So we had our diver go down the boat this past week to check the haul since it's starting to warm up a little...got the bill and he says my zincs are "poor"...well I'm a little baffled because we did the zincs on the shafts, and trim tabs in November (2nd week of november 2010)...so 2.5 months and we need new ones?? seriously??

We are connected to the shower power at all time too -is that the issue?

mirage2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Admiral

first off..where are you boating...salt??fresh water???...secondly....if your only getting 2.5 mo's for your zinc's ..one of 2 things is happening...you havea hot marina electrically speaking or your using the wrong type of zinc's....most people use aluminium zinc's in salt water...fresh water is not my best knowledge but I imagine it's more towards manganese or something similar.....anyway..you need to check your marina for electrically hot water around your slip....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Admiral

Yeah Ditto on the aluminium and even in fresh water. Only very brackish water use the Magnesium.

You have a hot current in the water near your boat somewhere. Get a good electrian to check your boat, the electrial ground for the shore power and / or neighbors next to you.

Good Luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Lt. JG

I'm in salt water...zincs were changed while the boat was taken out for survey.

how do I check for "hot water"? was told to tie in a volt meter from the ground part of the connection at the dock and drom the other in the water to see the voltage...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Admiral

find a tech that can check out the marina...report it too the marina and have them check all the power poles around your boat....your marina is definitely hot then..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Talked to my diver and he says that's standard where I'm at for the zincs to not last past 3 months. I asked the guy next to me and he says he is getting 6-8 months... But he has out drives where I have v-drives...is there anything I can add to my boat to help reduce this consumption? Once it warms up I will be checking myself to see if they are really going out that fast...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Admiral

I'm in fresh water and I don't what to be near a aluminum pontoon boats because of the activity they can create. I am sure I'm reaching here but got any pontoon boats near by? Salt water :-)?

Just keep a sharp eye out every so offen on your anodes and keep up the inspections. I still think you have a stray current in the water caused by something?

Good Luck.......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Lt. JG

no pantoons...no metal boats...brackish salt water...the only thing I could tell is some people there have a bad habbit to let their AC cords hang in the water

Diver says he usually put two zincs per shaft (one close to the props the other further down) and said the ones close to the props go first -pretty obvious to me-...the ones on the trim tabs last a little longer due to their size...

I assume that my 2001 3500SCR has a Galvanic Isolator already...do those go bad and if so how do I "test" such thing?

oh one more thing: besides being connected 24/7 on shore power, I do leave "alot" of things on, including battery charger, inside fridge, ice maker on top, accessories (which ties in the ice maker) and heat/AC...
How much "stuff" should I leave on? heat/AC is a must, I'd like to keep the fridge on since I have BEvERages in it...but I could turn everything else off (Charger and accessories brakers).

PS: I am talking about the zincs on the prop shafts and trim tabs...the sacrificial anode at the back of the hull is fine...so I'm trying to reduce my zinc consumption per say.