Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Water in engine bay

i have a 2400SCR. is it normal to have some water under the engine which the bilge cant pick up? I managed to remove all the water with a cloth... started the engine and no leaks. could some water be leaking while im cruising? could it be water from washing the boat? kinda confused :?

clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Water in engine bay

water is a very clever entity.......it will work it's way any way it can into your boat....and I mean any way .....so..check your air vents....it could be when you washed it...or if it rains..water will work it's way into the bilge...or ....under way and you hit heavy seas....not unusual to see some water get in the cockpit and drain to the bilge..best to keep it as dry as you can....keeps the rust down..

Sp irate:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Commander

I have the same boat and I get a little water in the engine bay never could find out where I think the rear vents .I check all my raw water and engine fittings no leaks you should be ok. my 2400 is in the lake for 6 months and I just clean up any water I find good luck let us know if you find the source????
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Lt. JG

its frustrating true..today i went out with the boat..wife was driving her and was down near the engine looking for any leaks..but notin..i am clueless..any news i'll let you know..Sp can u further explain air vents?
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Lieutenant

On my 2700 SCR, there is at least 1 drain that empties into the bilge (under a bench seat where a cooler goes) and I find that rainwater accumulates in there as well. I always have a small amount of water in there and don't worry about it. I do spray my engine and other metal down there with CRC occassionally, however.
Ticamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Ensign

I've got a 3200 SCR, and always get water in the bilge. Both of my aft seats have storage underneath, and both drain into the bilge...Water will just naturally get in. I wouldn't worry about it much. Just make sure your pumps are in working condition
rolexon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

It's a boat, water in the bilge happens. Although I have a slip available I nearly always pull my 2400 SC3 out at the end of the day and put it on the trailer. When I remove the bilge drain plug most times I get nothing more than a trickle of water, perhaps 1/2 a cup - it's a pretty dry boat. Other times however, a half a gallon - but that's rare. Of course, the bilge pump is on guard but I rarely catch it in action.

Any thru-hulls like for depth finder = a possible source. And of course if you have anything that drains into the bilge those are also a possible source.

I do believe the biggest source is at the transom - the stern drive, particuarly when rapidly slowing from cruise because the entire stern gets flooded with backwash. Any openings will let water in.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote