Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Lightbulb Vinyl Repair

All-

With all the interiors out there with vinyl covered seats, cushions, etc there has got to be a repair gel / adhesive to fix small holes (burns!). Post a reply if you know of any such repair kits? Thanks
Dean (deanries / Go Big or Go Home)

deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Plenty of them out there. Look in the automotive world, that is where you find that stuff. They all advertise to work like magic, and they all look like crap when used. You're tiptoing close to the world of infomercial products at this point.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Ensign

hi,

i do not know any brand or where you can buy this stuff yourself but i do know it does exist and there are companies that can do this work for you. these results are very good if done well. i saw it a few years ago. my coussin worked at a boat shop back then, i was in the shop for a few hours that day and the boss hired a company to make some repairs on several boats. one guy came to the shop for a few hours and repaired a few tears and holes in the upholstery of several boats. they have special rubber pads with different structures and find the one close to the one used in your boat. then they have to match color and start to repair. in some cases they put little pieces of fabric or vinyl inside the cussions to get a stronger result and then they apply the liquid vinyl and put the structure pad over it. heat it a little with a hair dryer or something or special mini iron (can't remember what he used) and then in most repairs it was a very very nice result. i have no idea of the costs but the results were just almost perfect. so try to find such a company and ask for pricing. i live in the netherlands and i guess you are not so there is no need to try to find you this company but they are out there for sure. good luck

With all the interiors out there with vinyl covered seats, cushions, etc there has got to be a repair gel / adhesive to fix small holes (burns!). Post a reply if you know of any such repair kits? Thanks
Dean (deanries / Go Big or Go Home)[/QUOTE]
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Admiral

Quit smoking Dean............That would be the best fix....:-).....

I have used shrink wrap tape that is white in color. Its not perfect but it does hold for a long time, better than duct tape.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Is the shrink wrap tape better than white duct tape?
dbriceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Keep in mind there is Shrink Wrap Tape, Preservation Tape, and White Duct tape. And yes they are all different.

Shrink Wrap Tape: White vinyl tape that cannot actually be shrunk. It is used to tape holes and seams on shrink wrap

Preservation Tape: White vinyl tape that also cannot actually be shrunk. It is used to tape shrink wrap to other items and not leave a sticky residue behind when removed. I use it to tape carpet and rags to sharp coners on teh boat in preperation for shrink wrapping.

White Duct Tape: This has no business being on a boat unless you have a tin knocker doing aftermarket HVAC work on a forced hot/cold air system using metal ductwork.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Cool Thanks for the help!

Shrew & all-

Yep, most of the materials I've seen over the years do end up as crud (infomercial stuff). Bad thing on my part was the seats were redone last year with new vinyl so it hurts.

biggerseagar -

Who said it was "I" that was smoking but yes, I'm to blame (Damn the Captain).

Have a great summer and keep "em" wet.

Dean (deanries / Go Big or Go Home)
deanries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Admiral

Dean as an ex smoker (been 30 years since I lit one up) Didn't mean to offend by my remark......I am a SOB when it comes to people smoking on my boat. My brother-in-law and my son (who now is an ex-smoker yeah!!!!) who would want to smoke on my boat and then get pissed off at me for saying no. They would say, "I'll be careful" and I would say, "No ..get your own boat and you can do whatever you want to do." So my son bought himself a nice 92 Cobalt OB but then he and his wife quit smoking. My brother-in-law bought just more smokes.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote