Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 AM   #1
Commander

Default Time to add an inverter

We’ve checked off everything on our Prepare to Cruise checklist (hand over head systems, underways/landings, anchoring, mooring balls, locks, long day cruises, meal prep, and tender ops) with the exception of overnighting on the hook. Because I use a CPAP, and because I want a ready ‘clean’ source of AC power while underway (without the need to fire up the generator), I want to install an pure sine wave inverter (2KW-2.5KW). Stove/Convection-Microwave and AC would be generator loads, but I want all the ‘hotel’ services (network, laptop, printer, tablet/phone chargers, handheld radio chargers) to have ready power.

Here is the current DC power set up on our 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA as shown in the boat’s owner’s manual supplement. All batteries are Deka 8A8D 1450CCA 245AH@20hr AGM2.

Here is the inverter wiring, also from the supplement. I’ll take this as the manufacturer's desired wiring for when an inverter is added. The inverter battery I’d add will be identical to the other three.

We have a ProMariner brand ProTech 1240i Plus charger wired in the two bank configuration as shown in the charger’s owner’s manual and installation guide with the ‘spare’ third bank being jumpered to the second bank lug.

While I haven’t been able to completely hand over hand the DC output from the charger (the wires disappear into areas I can’t easily access) to verify the configuration, I’m assuming one bank goes to the single port engine/generator battery and one goes to the starboard engine battery and the house battery which are wired in series as shown in the DC wiring diagram.

Right now, unless I hear from folks who have a better way to do it, I’m planning on going with the supplement’s wiring. The one thing that doesn’t seem to make sense to me is why the inverter battery seems to be on the stbd engine/house side of things with its positive wire on the same lug on the battery isolator and the negative wire going to the house battery. Seems, at least to me, to be better to spread the love out and hook on the port engine/generator side. I’m only guessing here, but could it just be the simple fact the wiring would be shorter going that way then to add a foot or so to the positive side to reach the other side of the isolator and maybe two more feet to get the negative over to the port/gen battery? I’m assuming the battery isolator balances out the loads no matter what.

PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Commander

To add a little bit more.

Fig 1 battery 7 (house) = Fig 2 battery 2; Fig 1 battery 3 (stbd engine) = Fig 2 battery 4 (I'm not sure why it's not 'wired' in Fig 2).

I'm wondering why, after adding an inverter & additional house battery (battery 3 in Fig 2) they just didn't go to a three bank system with bank one being stbd engine, bank two being port engine/generator and bank three being house. That three bank configuration would work great with my current charger.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #3

I'd either crimp new connectors onto those two positive leads on the left (in the charger image) or try to slide some red shrink tubing over it and shrinking it. Ultimately, I would not want positive cable exposed like that.

The ones on the right are just the plastic around the crimp connector, not shrink tubing, which is ok. They are missing on teh ones on the left and there was way too much cable exposed when they were crimped.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Commander

Thanks Shrew, noticed they were showing some corresion myself when I took the picture earlier this week-first time I'd had the charger 'open'. I cut/crimped/shrunk the connection the next day .

As for the inverter ... going on a whole new tack based on conversations with folks in the 'industry'. Everything that's there, is going to stay just like it is ... no changes.

Will add a 3kW Vectron Multi inverter/charger; new AC house bank and display/control hardware. The I/C will be inline with the shore power/generator. So no matter what's providing AC, the charger will 'see' it and charge the new house bank. Also, the inverter will sense the AC 'loss' when securing shore power and 'shift' over to being an inverter (specs say ~20 milliseconds/no loss to AC powered devices. I think I'll be safe and just turn everything off, do the 'switch' and then turn stuff on again. One output of the Vectron will go to the low amperage AC stuff (will always get AC from shore/gen or house bank) and one output will only get AC from shore/gen unless 'turned on' to suck off the house bank (not planning on doing that for any long period of time).