Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Captain

Default Thermostat

captains, anyone have recommendations on when to replace the thermostat in a mercruiser? I've got a 2001 3.0.
Temp has been fine for the 3 seasons I have owned the boat. I want to avoid problems but also not change components unnecessarily.
Really enjoy the Maxum forum. Great info that has helped me avoid problems and enjoy the water!

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Commander

I replace mine when I winterize each fall. It is a bit overkill but the thermostat and gasket kit is only $20. I would rather spend a bit extra each year and be confident that all is good then re-use the thermostat when it was out and easy to replace.
When I winterize I remove the thermostat housing and pour RV Antifreeze into the block until full. I then put in new thermo and gasket and bolt the housing back up. Then in spring, I just put it in the water and start it, nothing to do but connect battery and go. Simple enough

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Captain

if it works, don't fix it.......
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Commander

The wise-***** answer to this is replace it when the overheating alarm goes off and/or your temperature gage shows the motor running too hot or too cold. The 4.0 answer is from mcoffey, that is cheap insurance to be sure you will have no issues.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Captain

Thanks for the replies. Owner's manual recommends removing thermostat to winterize as per mcoffey's suggestion, then states that you should put the old thermostat back in the engine only with a new gasket. I think my initial plan will be to order a new thermostat and 4 gaskets. I'll winterize by removing the thermostat, replace with a new gasket annually, and a new thermostat every 5 years.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote