Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Stringer work

Alright folks, have my next topic here (busy offseason!). I have a stringer in my engine compartment that I need to do some work on. Picture attached, this is the short transverse stringer that spans between the two main stringers that the engines are mounted on. The fiberglass across the top of it has a crack, and the wood within has some rot. I'm thinking I'll cut the top of the fiberglass off so I can access the wood underneath, and then scrape out anything that's rotted, then re-fill (assuming I have some meat left on the wood that's still strong). The main stringers showed a bit wet during the survey, but I've fairly well made my mind up that I'm not going to monkey with those unless I find there's a serious problem. I do want to "stop the bleeding" though, this rotted transverse stringer is where the moisture is coming from. Any recommendations on a repair like this, and what would be the best material to build back up with?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  

rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
Admiral

More than likely it’s marine grade plywood in there. Open the top as you plan to determine how bad the rot is. You may need to cut the entire piece out and replace it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Captain

If you need to treat and strengthen some wood I recommend Abatron wood epoxy and liquid wood. The liquid wood will soak into the wood fibers to make the wood stronger and waterproof. The wood epoxy bonds to wood extremely well and is harder and stronger than wood. Wood epoxy is also waterproof and lighter than natural wood.
I'm recommending these products in event you need to prep or repair new or existing wood.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stringer repair