Old 08-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Exclamation steering slop problems 1900 sr "2001"

I bought a boat so I asked for this lol...

I have a 2001 1900sr maxum with the 5.0l mercury engine attached to a mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive. This has power steering or steering assist.

If I push the drive back and fourth while on the trailer I get about 3 inches of play without moving the steering wheel. While driving the boat I have about 90 degrees of play at the wheel before I get a response from the drive. It is most apparent when driving and turning the boat from a left turn into a right turn like an "S" turn around an obstacle or another boat.

I suspect the power steering arm or ram. something seems off to me there like the internals are moving funky from the housing. The pivot arm to the drive seems tight but I can't tell very good by myself.

can the steering ram become loose? the housing doesn't move but the guts in the middle slide separate from the housing and the ram.

maybe the steering cables and gears at the wheel? There is a good possibility that all of the steering on this boat is original.

chillerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Aboard

From the play in the drive it sounds like the swivel shaft and possibly gimbal ring and steering arm are worn. Common issue. This is the time to replace the bellows, gimbal bearing and lower shift cable.

Under Documents of this site you will find Mercruiser manuals; look for the Alpha one to review what is involved.

There is also a kit made by JR Marine to replace the swivel shaft without as much disassembly that the manual shows. Mercruiser also make a kit for this job.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Ensign

I had a mechanic work on it and he found a worn pin was causing the slop. he also found a crack in the gimbal housing. I get it back next week so hopefully all is good now. about 3,200 bucks to go through the boat and make repairs. replacing the blower, trim sensors, gimbal housing, steering pin, exhaust risers, raw water pump, seals, spark plugs, cap & rotor, wires, oil/ fluid changes.

trying to get it all out of the way this first year that we have it so next year should just be regular stuff...
Old 04-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillerguy View Post
I had a mechanic work on it and he found a worn pin was causing the slop. he also found a crack in the gimbal housing. I get it back next week so hopefully all is good now. about 3,200 bucks to go through the boat and make repairs. replacing the blower, trim sensors, gimbal housing, steering pin, exhaust risers, raw water pump, seals, spark plugs, cap & rotor, wires, oil/ fluid changes.

trying to get it all out of the way this first year that we have it so next year should just be regular stuff...
The swivel shaft (pin) is normal maintenance for a 18 year old boat. Yep best to get these things out of the way then you’ll have a good baseline for the next several years, enjoy.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
Ensign

took her out for a test run at our local lake for the day. what a difference! she ran like she was brand new! only thing to complain about was the trim gauge still doesn't work but at least the trim is working fine. everything else was awesome. I'm ready for our trip to lake mohave next week!

Tags
1900sr, maxum, slop, steering