Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Ensign

Default steering cable gasket

Good day ladys and gents any help would be great

I have a 2002 1800 kids wont go with us anymore so stripped it and turned into a catalina runner. fiberglassed rear floor added live bait well and radar/fish./gps. so all working great. maint. a lot to keep her good no rust or corrosion yet. well now to my question the stering cable goes thru the rear of the boat and there is a flexible seal/gasket, is there a easy way of replacing it or like I have heard pull outdrive and poss move engine forward for access or has anyone come up with a quick fix. it is leaking just a little when boat is sitting in water, not a lot but any is no good in the ocean. thank you in advance for any help jay

wyland101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Admiral

jay welcome aboard.

Is this boat equiped with a mercruiser I/O or an outboard? Sorry but your describtion sounds like an outboard but then you say outdrive.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Ensign

sorry and thank you mike yes I/o mercruiser I really appreciate the help. oh thanks for permission to come aboard I have 1 other problem you might be able to help me with the gas gauge does not work are they none to out or is it usually the cable? I love maxum the boat never has left us in trouble catalina and back I am not kidding at least 100 times. takes a beating and keeps on giving. jay
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Admiral

OK I/O so water is leaking in at the top of the inner transom assy, correct? The cable does not go thru the transom but is connected to a steerinh arm that is then connected to the swivel shaft, this shaft passes thru the transom assy and has seals. Not uncommon for these parts to wear, slat water even worse.

Gas gauge or sendor is bad. On back of gauge find the S terminal, ground it and the gauage should pin one direction then apply 12V and it should pin the other direction. If this checks out the sendor is bad.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Ensign

thank you mike