Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Question Repair of leaking hatch

It seems that the hatches in my 1990 SCR27 are leaking (yes, both of them). I think my skylights are ok, but I will have to test them too. They were replaced about 5 or 6 years ago by the previous owner.

Is there any trick to removing, resealing and replacing the hatches?

I haven't started yet, but I have removed the trim inside the salon to confirm the leaks.

I assume that I will remove the screws from on top of the deck, then try to pry or cut the old caulk to remove the hatch. Then clean it up, apply new 4200 sealing and replace.

Am I missing anything?

Any advice, hints or kinks would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Hunt for a tutorial on you tube. There should be a couple of good ones that show the whole process.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

I will thanks! I was asking here to see if there were any 'Maxum' specific pitfalls to look out for.

I already have my tubes of 3M 4200 standing ready and able.

Rich
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Captain

most of the time its your deck rail stantions leaking.... where is your water stain?

best thing to do is get the hose out and soak the lower window first, wait a week for leaks, then move up to the rub rail, soak it, wait a week, then do your top hatch last.

there is nothing special about a rubber hatch gasket, I'd try some typical window calk like you stop a leak on your bath tub before taking the headliner apart.....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

The headliner under the hatches is soaked and mouldy already. The luan under the vinyl at the hatches is all rotted.

This is an older boat, the previous owner already had the skylights replaced about 5 years ago. I think these are still ok, but I need to check also.

So at this time I'm very certain the hatches are leaking, but I will check the rub rail and the deck rail while I'm going through water proofing everything. Maybe I should get a case of 4200?

Rich
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Captain

5200 will glue a cow to the pulpet....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #7

The hatches are most likely Bomar. Bomar is owned by Pompanette. They do make hatch replacement kits for resealing hatches:

http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/0...400165E28?Open

The site should also have instructions on how to reseal the hatch. You might need to search around a little bit.

I hope this helps.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Thanks for this tip! I think they are Bomar. And looking at this website, Pompanette is located in NH, so they can't be too far from me (NH is not that big of a state).

Rich
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

I called Pompanette. They were very helpful! They said there is no need to use their special 'sealing foam', and I could use either 4200, or if I preferred 5200 to re-seal the hatches.

I suggested to use 4200 so as not to have to fight with 5200 if I ever had to replace the hatch in the future.

I may attack this project this weekend.

Rich
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I was successful in re-sealing my two hatches.

It wasn't too bad. I used 3M 4200. Yes, they both were leaking!

I remove the screws, and then just lifted off the hatches. I spend some time removing all the old RTV (or whatever the factory used), applied the 4200 to the bottom of the frame, re-installed the frame, screws, etc.

I'm water proof again! Or at least the hatches are! Now on to other leaky things.

Rich
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Have you done the clamshell yet under the black rubber bumper strip yet? I plan on getting at mine shortly. It leaks down the side of the cabin wall and some rain water ends up in the stroage under the dinnette seats.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

I haven't checked those yet! It's on my list of things to do!

Rich