Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Propeller shake

Last fall i hit a sand doom. And it busted my hub kit on the propeller. i replaced it the hub kit. Now the boat has a small shake to it. i did check the propeller to see if there was any play in the propeller. and there was not any play. Is there a way to see it i bent the shaft on the outdrive or to see if i bent the propeller. i have no other propeller to check it with. i have a alpha one gen 2 outdrive. should i get my propeller work on from a prop shop?

edrey1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Admiral

do you mean a sandbar???...if so...it sounds like you probably have a bent prop..what I'd do is to take a jack stand or something that will be pretty steady....tape a long pencil to it to face the hub of the prop...to check for a bent shaft...put the pencil as close as you can get the stand to the hub but not touching...then slowly rotate the prop......if it's out of shape..it will strike the pencil and it will leave a pencil mark on the hub....
for a bent prop blade...just look at the prop and turn it by hand....if it wobbles any..take it off...it doesn't take much to make it vibrate up thru the boat...

if anything like this shows up...remove the prop and take it to a local prop shop ..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Default Prop problem....

If you went through a sandbar chances are you've sand blasted the paint off your black painted aluminum prop and possible bent it. Even the slightest bend will cause vibration. I had a similar situation and switched to stainless steel with excellent results. If you already have stainless it's more likely a drive issue. Replacing or repairing the prop is the less painful solution. Good luck!
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Admiral

Did you get the lower unit winterize last fall? Did you replace the outdrive fluid? Was it still a dark green(good) or milky brown(bad)? Is the bottom fin (skeg) of the lower unit bent? With the boat on the trailer and the drive all the way down without hitting see how much sideways play you have in your drive. Last but not least make sure your blades on the prop are not bent. Even the slightest bent could cause a vibration on your prop. Is your prop Stainless steel? If so you might have a better chance of doing something to the inside of your outdrive. SS just doesn't give. I might take your prop to a prop shop and get it check out.

Hope this helps!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote