Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Problems with water leakage Maxum 2800 SCR 1999

Friends
I have an Maxum 2800SCR-99 wich is running perfectly.
I have noticed that there is water coming in the boat.
I have pumped out all water and made it dry. I found that there is water coming from the port side aft. it flows profusely from the drain pipe in the small compartment (bulkhead) portside aft. Does anyone have experience of what it can be. I have no manual and do not know where fittings are located.
Is there any one who have had or have the same problem. What can it be?

All the best,
Rolf Carlsson

Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Captain

i have the same boat.

dose the water come down from where your battery are located? that is port.

or is it where your holding tanks are.... starboard?

the only drain pipe is the little tube that runs thru the rips of the boat.

If its a small rubber tube, those are rain scuppers, which flow out to the thru hull fitting, perhaps the rubber line is cut or the thru hull fitting is cracked... but these are above the water line.

so, when dose the water flow and how fast is it coming in?

start with that..

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi
I'll try to explain,
the water is coming from the drain pipe in the rear aft port side (next to and under the hydraulic-trim for the sterndrive and batteries).
On each side of the hull you find two compartments (one small and one bigger). Compartments are connected to each other via drain pipes wich enable i.e. rain water to be drained and end up in the compartment under the engine.
The smallest of the compartement are in the aft/rear both port and starboard.
Aft port side is were the water is coming from, its flows profusely and as it comes from the closed compartment were batteries and hydralic trim for sterdrive is mounted on its impossible to locate the leakage.

Water flow apx 20-25L/24Hrs

Its not that easy to explain but i hope you got what i mean ?

Looking forward to hear from you soon
Best regards
Rolf
Old 09-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

Do you hear your water pump cycle on and off periodically? It could be a leak in the water system, if so. Do you have A/C? Where does that drain? (Though 20-25 L is a lot of water for the condensation of an A/C unit). If this water occurs when there isn't a lot of rain, then i'd suspect it is not a leak from rub rail or stanchion, hatch, radar arch, etc. So if not rain and not freshwater system leak, then it is coming from below. Bellows leak would fill the main bilge area underneath the engine first.

Have you checked your through hull fittings? A cracked through hull, or a busted hose clamp can cause a hose to come loose. with the exception of the head and A/C intake, the rest are above waterline, but close to it. wave and rocking action could allow small amounts of water to ingress over time.

I'd start checking every though hull fitting, hose clamps and hoses. I'd also check the sink and shower drains to make sure that isn't where it's occurring.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi
Thank you for the feedback,
I'll take the boat up early in october "winter storage" and will make a full inspection.

This leakage is spooky and it puzzles me.

The boat was in the workshop in july were the shield between the engine and sterndrive was replaced with a new one.
They have to bring the boat on shore in order to make the repair.
After that the leakage started.

I pointed that out to the guys in the workshop but they dont take any responsibilty as the leakage is not coming from the area were they made the repair...

Is it possible that the hull is damage (hole in the hull) ? :-(
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

You'd have to hit something and know it to get a hole in the hull. They don't appear magically in a fiberglass boat. Typical leaks are at through hull fittings, clamped hose connections, rain water leaks from above and the bellows and transomplate. Since this isn't occurring in the center bilge area, I'd discount bellows and transom plate for now.

i'd be looking at clamped hoses, seacocks, water lines and through hull fittings.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I had water coming in the same place. As you say, because it is a closed compartment, it is impossible to see the source. I pulled the boat and inspected but was still baffled. Eventually I figured out that it was a small screw hole near the bottom of the transom that once held a remote depth transponder that the previous owner had installed. It was covered by the bracket that was still there so you could not see the hole. It was a tiny hole but the water really poured in due to depth pressure. Any easy fix. My point is that this can be a really tiny hole and still produce a lot of flow if it is near the bottom of the hull.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Ensign

Ok, interesting.......
I'll pull the boat within 2weeks and make full inspection.
By the way, did you cut up a hole in the closed compartment to inspect?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Captain

lets start by tasting the water.... fresh or salty?

if sea water, then you get dish washing liquid and whip the whole inside with soap bubbles, and look for the bubble maker.

Bubble up the hose that run thru the transom to the tabs and the screws that hold them

you are taking about the little tube, that cuts thru the boat Stringer RIB to let the water drain down to the engine bilge.

If you not seeing the water around the batteries, then you need to get a pick and poke your RIB stringers to see if they are water logged or rotten.

Sounds like you have a hole and it could be in the transom, and the water running under the gel coat and into your boat.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Ensign

I've checked the transom and everything seems ok.
On monday morning we'll send in a (tube) camera to locate the leakage.
Rolf