Old 07-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
Ensign

Default prime the head, faucets

i have a 08 2700se. i ran out of water and the pumps lost their prime. how do you get the pumps primed. i have an electric head onboard. any suggestions would be a help.............thanks

yippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

Default Re: prime the head, faucets

You shouldn't need to prime the pressure water pump. The minute it detects a pressure drop on the Outbound side, such as when you open a faucet it should automatically start pumping and self prime. If it detects a pressure drop on the Inbound side, such as when the water drank runs dry, it should Stop pumping.

Are you sure the pump is functioning properly?

I've run my tank and pump dry many times and never had to do anything but add water to the tank.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Ensign

actually i just got everything up a running yesterday. i had air in the line ( not sure how) I filled the tank and turned on the water and then the pump. a small amount of water came out and then it started spitting water and air and then started running. the toilet is working and the sink up top is working as well.

I am new to boating and this is the first one i have ever owned. I am learning as I go but enjoy being out on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

That is interesting that you needed to actually prime the pump. My pump is located just slightly above the outlet at the bottom of the water tank. The water line from the tank to the pump has a loop, but the top of the loop is still below the line when the tank is half filled. So filling the tank will raise the water level to a point that the water will automatically fill the line from the tank to the pump and will fill the pump as well. So it seems simply filling my water tank full primes my pump for me.

I wonder if your pump is located in a different spot, relative to mine?? That may be why I've never had to prime, because gravity is technically priming my pump for me.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Ensign

Well the plot thickens. Went out on the boat this past Monday and the toilet and sinks didn't work. the pump was really loud. i had the repair guy check it out and he said the pump was shot. He then said that was why i was losing the prime. When your out on your boat do you leave the pump on or only when your going to use the water? i only put it on when i used it but maybe you need to leave it on so it stays primed?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

I do both. I'll leave it on, but had a small leak most of last year and I used to leave it off and only turn it on when I needed it. I would definitely leave it off when I was gone for the week and never had any issues when I came back the following weekend. The leak would actually cause a pressure loss, so when I turned the pump on, it would cycle for a few seconds will it repressurized. Even when I've completely drained the system so there is only air, I still never needed to manually prime the pump. I'd just buy a new one. They;re not that expensive.